W124 electric window

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi All

Help needed...
96 w124 estate rear passenger side window regulator stopped working. Was intermittent but finally stopped in the down position. I checked the switch on the centre console is working by swapping it for another and switch is good. I disconnected glass and chocked it up with bit of wood and ordered a replacement regulator from ebay. This arrived and works fine when tested (connected directly to battery) but doesn't work when connected to terminals on door...Makes me wonder if there is an electrical fault rather than a regulator failure.

Electrics are a bit of a mystery to me and I don't have any electrical testing tools and I am a bit stumped as how to proceed. Help or advice greatly appreciated.

Car approaching 300,000 miles and still running smooth as ever...

Tom

On my 89 W201 which probably used similar hardware and wiring I had a rear electric window fail due to a break in the wiring where it flexes as the door opens. The cable was certainly heavy duty but quite stiff and would have benefited from a larger number of smaller strands to improve flexibility. Splicing in a new section of wire resolved the problem.

Thanks 190

Hadn't thought of that. Will have a look at that wiring.

Tom

You can test them just put the regulator in a vice,, mine had 3 wires on it ,, just find out witch one is the earth,, then the other 2 are to operate the regulator one way then conect the feed wire the other way around this will reverse the regulator operation

There's a good chance the wiring has ecologically broken down. You can do a bit of quick testing by getting a 12volt lamp and a couple of wires, (pull a lamp out of one of the c pillar lights) put it via the wires in place of the motor plug. Operate the window switch, if it lights you have power to the window (which it probably won't). Do the same test at the Comfort Control Module Plug B Green/Violet and Black/Violet wires. If it lights there when you press the switch then you will need to do a bit of rewiring between them I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom