W124 electrical problems after radio fitment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MJK 24

Hello and help!!

I've recently got my 1990 W124 230e back on the road after being stood a year. I've fitted a radio this morning and I'm left with several item of equipment no longer working!

So yesterday, all electrical items in the car were working fine. This morning, I've fitted a period Blaupunkt Cassablanca CM62 radio and now I've lost:

Heated Rear Window
Heated Seats
Electric Windows
Glovebox Lamp

I've checked the fuse box and number 2 has blown. I've attempted to replace but it blows immediately suggesting a dead short.

The radio wiring took a little deciphering with my test lamp. There was a plug that looked as though it was intended for a Becker radio once upon a time. This had already been butchered so I cut it off. I found one permanent live, an earth, one that became live when the lights were turned on and one that had no power to it.

So, I purchased a brand new ISO plug and loom and set about making relevant connections. The ISO loom had the relevant markings on each wire to enable easy connections.

Initially I connected all the speaker wires. These were marked for each corner, positive and negative on the ISO plug. I removed each speaker in the car and connected them appropriately.

I connected the permanent live on the car to the red wire and yellow wire (permanent and switched live) on the ISO plug.

I connected the earth on the car (brown) to black on the ISO plug.

The orange wire on the ISO plug was marked 'illumination' and this was connected to the wire in the car that goes live when the lights are turned on.

The blue wire on the ISO plug is marked antenna and I connected this to the remaining wire in the car ASSUMING it was to power the electic aerial.

So I plugged the ISO plug into the radio, attached the aerial coax lead and everything was working perfectly. When I switched the lights on, the volume knob illuminates on the radio. All speakers are correct when isolating them with the balance and fader.

The electic aerial is stuck halfway (been like this for years) but I can still get all BBC national radio plus some local stations.

Go for a drive and notice that the heated seats and heated rear window aren't working. At this point the electic windows are still ok. All I could think of at this point is that the electic aerial outlet on the radio had been connected to an earth (the one wire I was unsure of) so I cut this connection. I then attempted to replace fuse number two but it blew immediately.

I've since been out in the car again and now the electic windows aren't working and nor is the glovebox lamp.

Can anyone offer any guidance on where to look next? I'm wondering if my electric aerial connection was incorrect and I've damaged a relay somewhere?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom