W124 Engine bay loom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aybracers

SUPPORTER
Car
C250Saloon,C200 Estate
Hi Guys (&Gals)

I have the chance to buy a good MB loom part number A124 440 5332. The problem is that my E320 coupe is a late 1995 model which EPC says should use A124 440 3433.

Does anyone know what the difference between the two looms is? The change point is just around a certain set of 942/992 engine numbers. The only late change I know about was the addition of remote central locking in February 1995. Could that spec. change affect the loom?

The addition of Cruise (or not) has a major effect on the loom. Cruise on these engines is incorporated into the throttle body and the loom has the extra wiring as reqd. There may be other differences but that's the one I know of.

another difference was the crank sensor connection.

early version went to plug in engine bay.

late version went directly to crank sensor on bell housing - nil plug.

Loom

Thanks Druk & KTH286, my car and the car the good loom came from both have cruise. Does the change in crank sensor position mean that there may just be an extra connection in the loom that is not needed on the later engines or is it more complicated?

You should check that cruise on the donor was factory fit not after market.

Thanks Coupe addict and yes, i've checked EPC and it was factory cruise. My concern is more what KTH286 said about the crank sensor wiring.

I wouldn't go down the route you are considering, I'd get the original loom repaired which gives you the correct loom and one that's of a known condition.

Thanks Druk & KTH286, my car and the car the good loom came from both have cruise. Does the change in crank sensor position mean that there may just be an extra connection in the loom that is not needed on the later engines or is it more complicated?

The crank sensor position was NOT changed.

It is just that the early version had an intervening plug in engine compartment,
whereas the later versions did away with this plug (and tail) and the loom wires went all the way down to the sensor on bell housing.

What version have you got in your car now ?

My car is a very late one (November 1995) and engine number is in the 100,000 range so I assume it will be the latter.

I should add that I do not have a problem at the moment but I know that the loom is original.

I also have the traditional slight rear head weep and my independent is going to try and pull the head down a bit this week but is aware that any disturbance of an old loom can start a misfire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom