W124 Engine bay wiring looms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
It seems that a lot of these looms are now reaching the end of their lives - replacement is the easiest (but costly) option.

To help soften the blow, I've had a word with my local dealer who previously offered us a 'club discount' of 15%. Not much improvement really but they've agreed to give us 17.5% off retail which is pretty good. No need to haggle with your own dealer, this offer is open to all and should get the cost down to around £500 + VAT

If you need a new loom, call Dennis on 01323 465030 (direct number to MB Eastbourne parts)and tell him you got the number from MB Club or me . Make sure you have your chassis number handy as there are several different looms depending on which options were fitted to your car. They'll arrange postage etc or if you prefer, I can arrange to get them collected and shipped on to you

Hope that helps a few people

Andy

why did have this prolems

in an attempt to be more enviroment friendly MB used bio degradable insulation on the looms. This insulation didn't fair too well with age and high temps.

I know this is about W124 wiring looms. I have a W202, would this problem affect my car? It's a '94 with the m111 engine 4 cylinder.

No,only the later m104 engines witch on the C class is 280

Hi guys, relatively new to the club but I've been reading alot of the posts, very informative. I have been spreading the good news to other MB owners who are not clued on to this. My car is 1996, 124, do I need to worry about the wiring looms failing, or what are the symptoms of a failing loom?

Hi guys, relatively new to the club but I've been reading alot of the posts, very informative. I have been spreading the good news to other MB owners who are not clued on to this. My car is 1996, 124, do I need to worry about the wiring looms failing, or what are the symptoms of a failing loom?

Hi there Tonison and welcome to the forum :).There`s is no need for you to worry,the one for your engine rarely fails

The first part to fail is normally the loom from the ECU to the coil packs. The "valley" between the cams is a pretty hot place and the loom degrades and shorts out, eventually killing the output transistors of the ECU

MB make a loom replacement section for £7 and you'll need three for an M104 engine. The tails are long (2 metres approx) so you should have enough length to go back to the ECU. Alternatively you can join into the loom on the section between the engine & ECU

The replacement sections comprise a plug & two-core cable - which looks suspiciously like mains cable as it is a brown & blue twin-core cable in a black sheath

Nick Froome

Do you have a part nr for that please Nick?

Thanks guys, yeah a part no. will come handy.

Part # for the coil feed wires is A 202 540 60 81 (first google hit that had a pic). Inchcape describes 'em as 'pin bushing housing' for some reason :confused:

Mercedes call everything that has an electrical thingy on the end as a 'pin bushing'. Somewhat lost in translation perchance?

The first part to fail is normally the loom from the ECU to the coil packs. The "valley" between the cams is a pretty hot place and the loom degrades and shorts out, eventually killing the output transistors of the ECU

MB make a loom replacement section for £7 and you'll need three for an M104 engine. The tails are long (2 metres approx) so you should have enough length to go back to the ECU. Alternatively you can join into the loom on the section between the engine & ECU

The replacement sections comprise a plug & two-core cable - which looks suspiciously like mains cable as it is a brown & blue twin-core cable in a black sheath

Nick Froome
Would fitting new ones of these stop my E200 S124 from hunting at idle? It's not a constant issue, but I'd still like to get it fixed if it's potentially going to degrade further.

Hi Andy, does this price still stand today please?

Hi Andy, does this price still stand today please?

Andy doesn't look in on here much anymore since buying an Alfa. Best thing is to just give the dealer a call. The parts manager over at Eastbourne is Clive. Dennis isn't there much at the mo as his wife has just had twins.

Thanks, do you think Andy is telling me something - ditch the w124 and buy an Alfa?!

I bit the bullet and bought one to avoid later problems the price above 560+ vat is still good.

Im having to do my E500..Whilst servicing it last week ive noticed some of the wires are in bad shape and may explain why my car very occasionally goes into limp mode. Believe it or not, the V8 loom is cheaper!

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom