w124 engine swap, 4 to 6 cyl?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hillbilly

Car
w124 230ce
Hello im new here, I have a 230ce coupe (will post up pic later today in own car forum) I am thinking of buying a 300e ive seen cheap (£300) with MOT and good engine, is there any major issue you guys can see me having if swapping over the engine/gearbox complete. I do understand that it would be easier to buy a 300ce and sell mine but I know my car is in top condition and it owes me very little compared to the cheapest 300ce's i've seen, your opinions and knowledge would be great, many thanks, Paul.

Where are you in the country? I know of one person who has done this on their CE but I think they had both cars in front for the transplant to be done smoothly.

With a complete donor car its entirely possible. However to complete a proper transplant you will have to also transfer the front suspension +brakes and the propshaft and rear differential [ maybe half shafts/hubs also. Then factor in the cost of an engineers report for insurance purposes and the final " non original" value of the car you may wish to sell some day. If you have a 230CE in good nick I would strongly urge you to leave it unmolested. In time you will adjust to the lack of performance and learn to enjoy the other delights of MB coupe ownership. These cars are not for traffic light drag racing but for the refined cruising the autobahnen at which they are very good. Enjoy---- they grow on you.:thumb:

Thanks for the replys people.
To NW Merc, im in Norwich and i did plan to have the cars side by side, my biggest fear is finding out the 4 cyl had a different bulkhead or that type of issue.

To grober, in some ways i think you might be right! the car has grown on me in the couple of months ive had it, though ive only driven it twice (50 miles home and then to a mates this weekend) trouble is when i was a kid my dad had a 260e and the memory of that car was so much better than this car feels it was so damn smooth! so i assume that was the difference between 4 and 6 pots. i guess its gonna need more thought.

Thanks again for your time and opinions.:thumb:

Try to get a ride or a drive of a 6 cylinder W124 before you make any decision. Everything remembered from childhood seems to be bigger and better than the reality proves. I have 4 and 6 cylinder W124's as well as a couple of diesels. The car is so well insulated the 4 cylinder doesn't feel unrefined, just slow.

Try to get a ride or a drive of a 6 cylinder W124 before you make any decision. Everything remembered from childhood seems to be bigger and better than the reality proves. I have 4 and 6 cylinder W124's as well as a couple of diesels. The car is so well insulated the 4 cylinder doesn't feel unrefined, just slow.

Yea like the day i bought a knightrider style Trans-am!:doh: no amout of effort would get that things to jump over a truck.(or go round a corner)

Also a couple of years back we had a c200 sport as the family car and i never had an issue with it as that was the only one I had ever driven so had no comparison!

I think in conclusion i will drive it more and see how it goes, in the mean time i will get some pics up of it asap.

In time you will adjust to the lack of performance and learn to enjoy the other delights of MB coupe ownership. These cars are not for traffic light drag racing but for the refined cruising the autobahnen at which they are very good. Enjoy---- they grow on you.:thumb:

Well said, i was going to ditch my 220 for a 320. would i now? nahh.

wiring loom u need to check as well and computers ignition controls, it is too much bother, just have both or sell the the smaller, u will lose in value, unless u can aquire e36 engine and make e36 car like akash did to save one from being written off.

sell both and buy a w124 convertible instead of waisting your money, and should prove a better investment in the long run

There are no wiring loom problems with the 230CE other than the general wear and tear of age.The defective insulation only became an issue later. It is however worth checking the EZL ignition module bolted to the wing. These are getting hard =expensive to source nowadays. What happens is the heat sink compound on the base where its bolted to the wing dries out causing the unit to overheat. Its an easy job to temporarily remove the unit from the wing---- clean up the matching surfaces---- and replace the old heat sink compound with new stuff. You get it from MAPLINS, PC World [ for CPU'S] RS components or Farnell's

There are no wiring loom problems with the 230CE other than the general wear and tear of age.The defective insulation only became an issue later. It is however worth checking the EZL ignition module bolted to the wing. These are getting hard =expensive to source nowadays. What happens is the heat sink compound on the base where its bolted to the wing dries out causing the unit to overheat. Its an easy job to temporarily remove the unit from the wing---- clean up the matching surfaces---- and replace the old heat sink compound with new stuff. You get it from MAPLINS, PC World [ for CPU'S] RS components or Farnell's
i was refering to transplant of e320 into the car in case i misled people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom