W124 Engine Swop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

belly20034

Car
w124
W124 Engine Swap

Does anyone know what would be involved in replacing the engine in my 1986 260E W124 with a 3.2 24valve DOHC.
Would I need the gearbox,wiring loom,ECU,prop,diff ect? The engine I have in it at the moment is a 3.0 6cyl SOHC from a J-reg 300E, nowt wrong with it, just looks horrorble in my nice clean engine bay:mad:

Attachments

• awwww.JPG
    awwww.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Working backwards

Working backwards:

Diffs for cars with ASR and ABS are different to non-ABS diffs, so if the donor car has ABS & ASR use the diff. Also bear in mind that the final drive ratio of a 24-valve may be different to the 260. You could choose between the diffs to get the gearing you want

I'd assume the props are the same but assumptions are dangerous things...

To make life easy I'd take the engine & gearbox as one unit

You'll need the fuel pumps, ECU, engine bay loom, ignition coil packs, starter and ancilliaries from the new engine

If the radiator is bigger in the donor car then use it. If either car has aircon use that front bumper as it has cooling slots

You'll need the exhaust, catalyst, Lambda probe & wiring

You may need to swop the tacho or instrument binnacle but I doubt it

Late big-engined cars and estates had big, vented front discs, too, and these would be useful!

Final thing would be to replace or remake the engine-bay loom over the back of the engine as these tend to fail

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

If you decide o go ahead with this transplant and need a help, give me a shout, I am only just down he road.

Good Lad

Ian B Walker said:
If you decide o go ahead with this transplant and need a help, give me a shout, I am only just down he road.

Cheers Ian! Just waiting for the right donor really.:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom