W124 Estate (1994) Tow limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

i've looked at my W124 manual and cant really figure it out.... and i've done a search on the net.....

anyone know the tow limit of a E300 Diesel W124 Estate (1994) multivalve

we currently pull a folding camper and thinking of getting a bigger caravan but the car is pretty sluggish without pulling anything (!) so i was wondering what the actual tow limit is?

thanks!!

Derek

Yup as mentioned for stability reasons you should stick to 85% of the car's kerbweight, even if the stated braked trailer towing limit is higher. The latter simply means that the car is physically capable of doing a hill start on a specified gradient with that weight of trailer attached to it.

http://www.whattowcar.com/basic_index.php

A 300TD should be pretty good? self leveling in them as well hasn't it?

excellent link - thank you.

My car is listed:

Mercedes-Benz E Combi - 300 D W124 aut.
Modelyear: june 1993 - april 1996

Kerbweight: 1665kg
User Payload: 250Kg

The car is very good at towing my camper which is 950kg - it slows down when driving up hills, which makes me wary of a heavier caravan.

its mainly because it has no turbo - the actual weight of the merc and with its self-levelling makes it superb to use on long journeys. also with its boot space and roof bars etc.

we have seen a caravan we like, but it is pretty much at our max weight-wise. I guess most dealers will allow a test drive with it?

Last edited:
its mainly because it has no turbo - our max weight-wise. I guess most dealers will allow a test drive with it?

Now that would be a good mod. TB turbos used to do a coversion kit but one could be made up pretty easily.
Exhaust manifold and downpipe mod, add hairdrier, intercooler and pump aneroid.. Bingo..

You could probably use most bits off a scrap E300Turbo.

From memory, the max towing weight allowed by MB is 1900kg. I regurlarly tow over 1300kg with mine without a problem for stability. Yours should be as stable, but just more sluggish as it lacks torque.

Hello

Caravan dealers don't tend to give a flying fig what your towing the van with. You could have a 1.1. fiesta outside and they would still sell you it.

Its more for your peice of mind and matching the weight of car with van

Pos some pics if you buy it.

Nothing better to annoy those that don't understand vanners :)

my ideal van would be a new shape swift conquer with the silver sides, but cost and weight stop me :(

so i am thinking maybe a new Bailey Ranger or something like this:

sen3.JPG

From memory, the max towing weight allowed by MB is 1900kg. I regurlarly tow over 1300kg with mine without a problem for stability.
1300kg is only 78% of the kerbweight mentioned above, so a good match.

so i am thinking maybe a new Bailey Ranger or something like this
Never seen the attraction in twin-axles myself. A single-axle loaded properly is pretty stable, much easier to manoeuvre, easier to level, and cheaper to maintain.

Never seen the attraction in twin-axles myself. A single-axle loaded properly is pretty stable, much easier to manoeuvre, easier to level, and cheaper to maintain.

we want to get a big van if possible, most are twin-axles

Dunno, pikeys love 'em. Usually straight off your drive...
Very true. Some sites won't allow twin-axles (or vans), for that reason. I used to keep my caravan in a storage compound ... a couple of times twin-axles were nicked from there.

we want to get a big van if possible
It probably won't be possible, if you want to stay within the 85% weight guideline (which would be around 1400 kg). My 4-berth single-axle is 1500 kg (MTPLM ... which is what you should base the match on).

If it's a 124.393 or 124.193 with the 603.96X engine, maximum towing weights are 750kg unbraked and 2100kg braked.

Source: MB's Technical data passenger cars (October 1993).

Very true. Some sites won't allow twin-axles (or vans), for that reason. I used to keep my caravan in a storage compound ... a couple of times twin-axles were nicked from there.

we will keep it in storage i think - we have space at the front of our house but would have to create a new entrance and driveway on the other side for the caravan to sit which will probably cost more than plenty of years of storage.

we will keep it in storage i think - we have space at the front of our house but would have to create a new entrance and driveway on the other side for the caravan to sit which will probably cost more than plenty of years of storage.
I was paying about £300 a year for storage. Spaces can be hard to find, and there are often restrictions on when you can go in and out. If you've got room, keeping it at home is much more convenient. I wouldn't personally want to use storage again if I could avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom