W124 Estate - engine recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wavydavy999

Hi, can anyone help with a personal recommendation. I'm looking at the W124 estates and need a good runner (not bothered about performance) - what's the best engine choice? It would appear that the diesel estates seem limited to the 300 (I think some 250 diesels were built but these seem to be extremely rare) which seems a bit chunky for what I'm after. How good (reliable) are the petrol versions - I've seen a few 200TE's and 230TE's available at reasonable prices? Will these engines rack up a high mileage with few problems? I'm only going to be doing about 6-8k a year but don't mind buying a high mileage one to start with. Thanks for any advice.

Hi

At that mileage a petrol would probably be best and cheaper to buy. Diesels command bigger money and are slow but utterly reliable. Any are capable of racking up monster miles if looked after at all.

I love the diesel particularly the 603, i think it has a nicer note from it and easier to work on and more reliable than the later 606.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

i'd recommend the 606 diesel, but i would wouldnt i ;)

230 engine is probably the other best choice.

My personal choice would be the old M103 2.6 litre single cam straight six, since it was one of nicest engines they put in the W124, but they didn't make them as a estate.:( Nearest equivalent would be the later twin cam M104 E280 straight six.:bannana: If you are concerned with fuel consumption I would get an old 3 litre M103 and LPG it!;)

I have a 95 e300 diesel estate - not the fastest car I ever owned but it is the only car I have ever kept for more than 3 years. Had it many years now and just ticked over the 200,000 mile mark yesterday - no major problems ever and runs pretty much the way it did at 30k miles when I bought it.
The e280 and e320 petrol models are good too; watch out for head gasket and wiring loom problems with those.
Check out the gearbox fluid colour and make sure it is a nice clear red colour; shows it has been looked after properly.

The Timeline on my website will show you which models were available when:

http://www.w124.co.uk/modelrange.html

It's tempting to look for a specific model - 230TE, E280, etc, but I'd start by working out a budget and deciding whether you want a pre- or post-facelift car. That done you can look at options available then nail down the engine you want

The diesels are great cars but they are mostly in poverty spec (no a/c, no leather, etc) and they do command a premium. I'd recommend the 6-cylinder engines and the diesels over the 4-cylinder cars unless economy is a significant issue

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

W124 Which Engine.

My 220 TE Estate on a "K" with close on 270K miles suits me down to the ground. Reliable, comfortable, huge load carrying capicity when I want it. 7 seats - grandkids love it. I tow a small trailer for the tip runs and stuff -no worries. Have towed a 190 on a four wheel trailer for around 50 miles, self levelling suspenders doing all the right stuff. Get about 27 -33 MPG depending what Im doing. Top motors the 124s, looking for a saloon 124 to replace my C180 at the mo. The 4 cylinders dont pick their feet up as well as the 6 cylinders but I have driven both and for day to day stuff would go for a four cylinder.

Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you spend your money on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom