W124 estate engine swap/ conversions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Delightfuldecay

Car
Subaru Forester
Hi

I would like to fit a V8 to a w124 estate

I have a 500 sec with the m117 V8 engine to use

I know several people (Jaymantek with his 500 TE ) have done these

a company called mb V8 conversions based in ilfracombe seems to be well regarded although I am unsure if they’re still operating?

I don’t have the engineering skills that some other members possess so I would need a mechanic to do the job

can anyone recommend any other companies that offer this conversion?

i would also like to get an idea of cost? It might be that without me doing some of the work it becomes prohibitively expensive

I know it’s hard to give an exact figure but am I looking at

4-5k or 8-10k for the work? I would provide both cars for the job

thanks

Attachments

• 680C41DD-EACE-409B-9C69-D98DEA0C1178.png
    680C41DD-EACE-409B-9C69-D98DEA0C1178.png
    508.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DA632948-2D0E-4EC7-8647-13C064F8E112.png
    DA632948-2D0E-4EC7-8647-13C064F8E112.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Alot would depend on how deep you want the conversion to go, a 117 running in a S124 isnt that hard but you need to consider other things like brakes, suspension, rear axle ect.

Which model S124 are you using?
Do you want working air con?
Are you keeping the SLS system?
Is the SEC running fault free?

Just the above points can alter the cost by a few £k.

Alot would depend on how deep you want the conversion to go, a 117 running in a S124 isnt that hard but you need to consider other things like brakes, suspension, rear axle ect.

Which model S124 are you using?
Do you want working air con?
Are you keeping the SLS system?
Is the SEC running fault free?

Just the above points can alter the cost by a few £k.
I not intending to alter the external appearance of the car

I haven’t purchased the estate yet, I was aiming for a e280 but I guess it doesn’t matter what engine it has

the sec’s bodywork is rusty but the mechanicals are okay

if I don’t intend to drive fast is it essential to upgrade the suspension and brakes etc?

air conditioning is not a priority

what’s the sls system? ( probably showing my ignorance here!)

thanks for your help

I not intending to alter the external appearance of the car

I haven’t purchased the estate yet, I was aiming for a e280 but I guess it doesn’t matter what engine it has

the sec’s bodywork is rusty but the mechanicals are okay

if I don’t intend to drive fast is it essential to upgrade the suspension and brakes etc?

air conditioning is not a priority

what’s the sls system? ( probably showing my ignorance here!)

thanks for your help
If you can use a 300te as your base car, the wiring is better suited to what you want to do.

The brakes and suspension can be left as they are, but dont expect to go around corners.

The S124 estates use a hydraulic Self Leveling Suspension (SLS) in the rear of the car, if you want to go fast it needs to go in the bin. If your keeping it you need to get a pump which is compatible with the m117, the SEC wont have one. I think some w126 sel had such a pump fitted.

If your not going to use air con, fit the radiator from a w124 e300 diesel with aircon. That is the biggest direct fit radiator you can get.

Also if you're going through all that,I'd advice sourcing a 560 engine instead if you can

Thank you for your help

I’ve just exchanged emails with Martyn Marrocco who has done several of these conversions and plenty of w123

the main problem is Mercedes have stopped making a lot of the parts and the conversion requires many bespoke parts

he thinks the cost is likely to be around £15k including parts

this is just too much for me, I’ll have to get my V8 fix elsewhere!

I think if you did some of the work yourselves it might be cheaper and therefore worth doing

Thank you for your help

I’ve just exchanged emails with Martyn Marrocco who has done several of these conversions and plenty of w123

the main problem is Mercedes have stopped making a lot of the parts and the conversion requires many bespoke parts

he thinks the cost is likely to be around £15k including parts

this is just too much for me, I’ll have to get my V8 fix elsewhere!

I think if you did some of the work yourselves it might be cheaper and therefore worth doing
Most definitely cheaper to do it yourself, though it would be more challenging depending on technical ability and facilities.
I have personally gone down this road, having amassed a lot of the parts, bespoke included, but the project being shelved due to various reasons.
Its not an easy path, if like me, you don't have time, money, large amounts of technical ability, and other things in life get in the way.
But...the pull of building a rare classic V8 Merc that never came direct from the factory is a great one, its either that, or buy one of the W123 V8's for sale on eBay/Car and Classic at present...both being priced above what Mr Marrocco quoted, but without the hassle.
At some point I'll need to get back into it, and dig deeper into the wallet or flog the lot to a lucky soul with much more talent and garage than me, oh and the car to put it all in to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom