w124 estate fuel cap not locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
as the title. thing does not lock (cannot hear it trying to do anything either).

Pressing the red button down inside the load area makes it work (but this is stiff).

The yellow pipe is connected. where should I be looking? Is it vaccum operated or electronic.

Sorry if posted in wrong aread too:eek:

it would possbly be the vaccum pump under the middle row drivers side passenger seat it has prob disconnected

it would possbly be the vaccum pump under the middle row drivers side passenger seat it has prob disconnected

will have a look - typical its just getting dark!

my guess is that the black plastic thing with the red button on will be knackered - they are a five minute £20 (approx) job to replace - they normally make a whistling sound for a few days before they fail

Andy

my guess is that the black plastic thing with the red button on will be knackered - they are a five minute £20 (approx) job to replace - they normally make a whistling sound for a few days before they fail

Andy

Andy; is that the actuator? the £20 is that new or from the scrappie?

Lifted the seats and no access cuts in the carpet:mad: which i am sure i have seen on other 124s. Does this mean i have to remove the seats to lift the carpet just to check? I could slit the carpet but am worried about damaging anything that I cannot see which might behidden underneath.

the actuator/lock release thing - £20 is the dealer price (it may be less - £14.99 rings a bell from when I changed ours) I wouldn't get6 one from a scrappie, they are too prone to failure

the actuator/lock release thing - £20 is the dealer price (it may be less - £14.99 rings a bell from when I changed ours) I wouldn't get6 one from a scrappie, they are too prone to failure

Anyone know if there is more than one type of actuator? Thinking about it can I swap mine from the coupe (which works) for the estate one. this would save me lifting the bloody carpets just to check the connection

Have you checked that the pin that moves in and out to lock the cap is not just a bit corroded up and is stiff - squirt a bit of WD40 on it and then manually move it a few times from inside.

andy nick you were right

swapped the actuators over and mine worked fine in the estate - so time to find a new one.

I have a spare one (working) for you on your next visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom