W124 estate interior lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shootingbrake

Car
mercedes estate w124
I wonder if anyone can help me on two questions :
To my surprise and shock Osbornes of Maidenhead closed down today , for they have looked after my cars and I cannot thank them enough for the advice and their help. But just as I need them a problem with the interior rear lights and rear door courtesy lights are staying on with all the doors closed.I can turn the interior estate pillar and rear passenger lights off from the switch on the centre consul but to my horror the two rear door courtesy lights remain on ? I have pressed individually the B pillar push button door light switches seeing a slight drop in bulb brightness when I do so . Does this indicate they are working correctly ? I do not know what to do other than removing the two rear door courtesy lights to stop the drain on the battery ! It seems very strange ,if there was a problem with the rear tailgate mechanism wiring would it also make all the rear interior lights stay on with the the rear door courtesy lights? Any advice would be most helpful and who to trust in the future to service and understand W124,s. Thank you.

Sorry I can't help on the lights point, but Neilrr here consistently recommends Star Motors in Caversham and he knows his onions. Always sad to see a good garage close its doors. Good luck!

The interior and door puddle lights (along with several other circuits like windows for example) have a permanent 12V supply and use a switched earth to turn them on/off

You've got an earth fault somewhere... i'd start with the door switches, if disconnecting them (one then both) doesn't 'fix' things then move onto the tailgate switch. Could also be a wiring fault where it's flexed everytime a door etc is opened although logically that'd be more likely to cause intermittant problems. Could also be a fault in one of the light housings if it's earthing on a door/part of the body but that's not likely unless someones recently had a lamp out to change bulbs etc and refitted things badly

Dunno if the interior & puddle lights (switches, wiring etc) are covered in detail anywhere else but the tailgate section (at the bottom of section 72- doors) should be usefull for getting the trim off etc if the door pillar switches check out OK and 72-265 is a wiring diagram for the tailgate closer and interior lights... Mercedes Benz Model 124 - M104 Maintenance Manuals

W124 estate interior light fault

Thank you so much and once I can trace this fault will reply .

W124 estate interior lights

To help anyone with the same problem, it was found that the electric cable micro switch that controls the rear interior lights in the soft close lock was at fault . Part number A1248206815 approx £60 .00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom