W124 - Estate load cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ModMan

Car
Soon to be a 2013 A Class
Ok, no laughing at me!

The car has gone off for an MOT etc today so it's not here for me to look at. However when I was cleaning it the other day I found the retracteable load cover (The one that fastens to the rear of the back seats) However the only place to hook it onto (When extended) was the tailgate. However when the boot was open the load cover was rubbing on the sides.

Did I do this right and is it how it's intended to work? It just felt/looked a little tacky to me, especially after seeing how a friends Volvo worked.

I've googled for images and can't find any examples.

Enlighten me please :)

Last edited:
No need for enlightenment. You have it correct. The load cover rubs on the sides of the car when you open and shut the tailgate. You could get out the scissors and trim it if it really bugs you, but then you would see past it when the tailgate is down.

Thanks Bruce. It just seemed a little weird that it rubs on the side. But if I have it right, then all the better.

Would it 'wear out' the return spring if I left it connected permanently? What do people do normally? I often have a few things in the boot and wouldn't want them to be visible, but at the same time wouldn't want to wear out the return mechanism.

I don't believe it would wear out the mechanism. I leave mine in the closed/not connected position unless I have anything in the back worth trying to hide.

FYI. I bought mine second hand on e-bay for 30 pounds. The previous one being really tatty.

I leave mine connected to the tailgate. I agree its not the greatest design but it does not seem to cause any problems and I prefer the look of the covered load area.

both mine (2 estates) are in the attic. thats mainly because i like to split fold the rear seats leaving just 1 seat left some times.

both mine (2 estates) are in the attic. thats mainly because i like to split fold the rear seats leaving just 1 seat left some times.

You can leave the cassette in place and keep the loadspace cover and cargo net intact with the offside, smaller, rear seat folded. You can't do it the other way round, though

BMW copied part of this idea for the E39. They moved the cassette mounting to the C pillars so the seats fold separately & individually leaving the loadspace cover and cargo net intact. The cassette detaches from the pillars by pressing a couple of push buttons - quite neat

BMW also fitted a split tailgate with opening glass. When I bought my E39 I scoffed at it mightily for about a day. After that I realised what a great idea it is!

Nick Froome

Thanks all for the info :) Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom