W124 estate model range & timeline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolide

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
I've updated my W124 estate UK Model Range page to include the W124 estate Timeline I've been working on. The Model Range description has undergone a lot of revision and this will probably continue

All corrections & comments very welcome!

http://www.w124.co.uk/modelrange.html

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick

I don't think the last facelifted models have S/E modes as standard on the auto box. My 94 E300 Diesel certainly doesn't. Was it only the petrols?

The diesels never had it. They're a bit of a special case all round - best suited to the most discriminating and civilised of owners, I always feel!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Timeline seems fine Nick. :rock: Might be worth mentioning some of the following in the text :- initially the estates came with a 5 speed manual gearbox or a 4 speed automatic transmission. In anticipation of their greater loading capacity they received slightly lower final drive ratios, larger rear brakes and strengthened front and rear suspension elements. All UK variant's also came with hydraulic self levelling rear suspension, fixed longitudinal roof bars and an electrically operated self closing rear tailgate??????

The diesels never had it. They're a bit of a special case all round - best suited to the most discriminating and civilised of owners, I always feel!
Or someone in not much of a hurry - I once took a W124 300D automatic saloon out on a demo drive - this was in the mid 90s - it was a used car, so fully run in.

Very nice, very smooth, drove well, BUT dog slow - I drove it for about an hour on a variety of different roads, and I soon found myself trying to avoid braking at all costs because it took so long to build up speed again!

I once took a W124 300D automatic saloon out on a demo drive... Very nice, very smooth, drove well, BUT dog slow... I soon found myself trying to avoid braking at all costs because it took so long to build up speed again!
Ah, the full 300TD experience! After a while you stop slowing down for anything and just sail through with the throttle pinned!

The 3.0 24v was an M104, not an m103
Yes, I know. I need to work out a neat way to show the overlap of engine types

Timeline seems fine Nick. :rock: Might be worth mentioning some of the following in the text...
That's all good

You old smoothie! ;)
I do try...

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom