W124 estate rear hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi All

Simple question needing needing expert answer:

Will rear knuckle/hubs from a 1992 300-24 TE fit a 1996 280 estate? Evidence so far is pointing to 'yes they will' but I would like to make sure before I buy them.

Thanks

Tom

All I can tell you is that the estates always had bigger rear hub bearings compared to the SALOONS/COUPES. At a guess estate to estate should be OK.

Just checked on the EPC and saloons do indeed have a different hub.

Thanks guys! Will go ahead and purchase the ones I have seen. My rear subframe is almost complete and ready to install. Looking very smart. Have been taking photographs so will do some sort of write up when it is all finished. It is a bigger (and more expensive) job than I originally thought. There are more parts to buy than I though too. Pressed in subframe bushes yesterday which was pretty straight forward (though I do have use of a giant old press). But keeping them in the freezer overnight really helped. I found a cheap lubricant in Wickes - Wickes silicone lubricant is a thick goopy silicone liquid that worked very well. Pressing in the two rear diff mounts is much trickier but managed it in the end. Used a large bench vice because the location of these bushes meant they would not fit in the large press. One is slightly off vertical but I reckon it has got to be better than the collapsed ones currently holding my diff in place! How critical is the fitting of these diff mounts? I fitted the arms this morning. It is bloody awkward to move around now and currently sits in the middle of my lounge floor...

The EPC. How do I go about accessing this? Do I have to join Mercedes Benz club? Is it a giant database of all MBs or is there an EPC for each model?

Tom

There's this Index to Mercedes EPC Parts Info and Diagrams Everything Benz

If you join the official club you will get access to the EPC and WIS [workshop information system] This covers all car models and possibly the G wagen?? but not any commercial vehicles [ a bone of contention for people driving private people carrier/rv/ motorhome type vehicles that are derived from MB commercial vehicles!]

Thanks Graeme

That EPC is great. It will save me many calls to my local mercedes parts dept!

Tom

Another question... Rear wheel bearings - some come in a kit with bolts, washers and those curved brackets that attach onto the diff but some seem to be just the bearing and the circlip and the nut for the end of the axle. If rebuilding the hub will I need the kit or can I get away with just a set of bearings?

Thanks

FYI, EPC & WIS doesn't work properly on a Macintosh

Nick Froome

Hi Nick

The EPC worked ok on my mac - but plastered in annoying adverts.

Anybody got recommendations on wheel bearing manufacturers? Not something I want to scrimp on but the prices fluctuate hugely. From 20 quid to over 100. I have already over spent on this job so the temptations to cut corners on the last few items is tempting...

SKF or FAG --- every bearing depends on how carefully its installed and its working environment/lubrication ---but since these bearings are very difficult to replace unlike front wheel bearings I would not skimp on cost.

Last edited:
I use the Mercedes EPC (so much easier to use once you know how) on Windows, which is running via Parallels on my Mac.

Grober's link is to a third party system which does work on a Mac but is not the official EPC (and is clunky).

Buy a good bearing, it should see the car out.

Thanks all. I have seen SFK and FAG on sale.

Is a good bearing £100 a side?! And is the pressing in process critical? The knuckle will be separate so can go on the press easily. I will source a stout bar of the same diameter as the bearing and use it to slowly and carefully press it down, into the knuckle. Does this process sound sensible? I guess I need to avoid placing pressure on the bearing itself as I push it in.

The industrial estate next to Olive Road in Portslade has a bearing supplier

Most times I've seen bearings pressed in a large socket has been used as a drift to push the outer race of the bearing. If you have a socket just smaller than the bearing it works well. You probably don't but the bar will do as well if not better

Pressing it in is critical but, so long as it starts OK, the sheer size means it will go in straight. If they start "on the piss" then surfaces get damaged

When driving them in with a drift & a hammer it's possible to tell when they're seated properly by the change in sound as you hit them. When they bottom out the sound changes dramatically and you know you're done. With a press I imagine you rely on measurement, the experience of the operator, or both

There are a couple of machine shops in Brighton who will fit bearings, one is in Portslade but I can't remember the name

Nick Froome

Thanks Grober. Very informative video! Yes that all looks pretty straightforward except the pressing of the hub back into the bearing - that looks like something an amateur could really mess up. I guess I'll just go slow. Have bought new (old) hubs, knuckles and splash shields from ebay that are already separate so that should help a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom