W124 Estate Rear Wheel Bearing - Wallet Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
I know Sean F started a thread on diagnosing wheel bearing/diff noises but I did not want to hi-jack it.

On returning from a family wedding on Sunday (160 miles form home) I noticed a noise from the rear end of the car, which sounded like the rear offside wheel. With windows open the noise increased as I loaded the nearside wheel. Stopping to let the girlies get a cup of tea etc, I unloaded the luggage and jacked up the rear end - sure enough - very significant play on said wheel - sh*te!

Took it easy on the way home, paticularly on right handers - but the noise was pretty horrible by the time we get home - embarrassing too! :(

After researching on the net, this forum, the american one and a read of the Haynes manual, convinced me that I should let the indy do this one, primarily because I do not have a press.

I picked the car up this morning, new bearing, cover plate and thrust arm = £338 with 40 of that to Gordon Brown! EEK!

I really do wish I had tackled it myself, I could have taken the assembly to a local workshop for the 'press' - Oh well........................

NormanB

but you got 153k miles!! I got 54k miles!!

with some inventive thinking you dont need a press. You could have used a Vice and a large socket. A couple of brass drifts and a bloody big hammer (removal only) :D

Ian B Walker said:
with some inventive thinking you dont need a press. You could have used a Vice and a large socket. A couple of brass drifts and a bloody big hammer (removal only) :D

Ian - agreed, have you done one on the W124?
NormanB

NormanB said:
Ian - agreed, have you done one on the W124?
NormanB

Yes I have assisted in doing one to a friends car. We opted for the vice because we had no access to any machine shop facilities. Necessity is the mother of invention, plus we saved quite a bit in fitting / pressing charges. Just be sure that you have it dead on before closing the vice. Once it starts to slide in its a peice of cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom