W124 estate suspension spheres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I'm fairly certain that I need to replace the rear suspension spheres in my '94 E220 W124 estate ( hard lumpy ride over speed bumps on one side) and its off to the mechanic on Monday. But is there an easy way to check that they do actually need replacing as apparently some suspension work was done on the car before I acquired it? I seem to remember someone mentioning that the membrane between the 2 sections of the spheres can degrade leading to mixing of the hydraulic fluid and the gas causing a frothy appearance in the fluid, if this is the case where do I check it?

Is it possible that I could have a stuck valve instead of dead spheres?

I presume I can remove some of the interior in the boot before I take it to the mechanic in the hope of reducing the time he needs to spend on relatively easy trim removal. Bearing in mind its a 7 seater what should I remove and how easy is it to do?

Be prepared for the pipework to them to be very rusty and can lead to new pipes being fitted.

You will need to remove the floor panel which is forward of the extra seat backrest.

IIRC there are two screws in top going down, and some more which you need to look hard for going ito the front of it, from where the extra rear seat backrest hinges.

That will give you access to withdraw the spheres upwards.

As above if your car is anything like mine you will also end up replacing most of the pipework as the whole lot will be corroded making getting a spanner anywhere near the fittings impossible.

To replace the pipes you will need to lower the subframe slightly at the passenger side.

I posted a thread on the other forum if you want to search on there - my user name is the same. The job is also costed.

Tony

Last edited:
You will need to remove the floor panel which is forward of the extra seat backrest.

IIRC there are two screws in top going down, and some more which you need to look hard for going ito the front of it, from where the extra rear seat backrest hinges.

That will give you access to withdraw the spheres upwards.

As above if your car is anything like mine you will also end up replacing most of the pipework as the whole lot will be corroded making getting a spanner anywhere near the fittings impossible.

To replace the pipes you will need to lower the subframe slightly at the passenger side.

I posted a thread on the other forum if you want to search on there - my user name is the same. The job is also costed.

Tony

Thanks Tony, much appreciated, the parts listing on the other forum might save the mechanic a bit of work too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom