W124 estate tailgate electric closer dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I have my eye on a '92 pre facelift W124 E220 estate, among some issues it has are a tailgate closer thats not working, tailgate closes manually but the electric closer doesn't function. The owner thinks it might be the relay in the tailgate and has taken out the relevant fuse. Apparently its also on the same fuse as the central locking so thats not working either.

I can live without the tailgate closer but not without the central locking. If it needs a new relay are they expensive to replace. Is there another way to disable the auto closer without disabling the central locking?

Hi,
I'd suggest at this age (18 years) the wiring to the tailgate from the body has given up. There are connection points for the wiring behind the plastic panel on the inside roof that covers the hinges. I'd be tempted to disconnect at this point, put the fuse back in and see what happens.
Andy

the tailgate electrics very often get affected by damp and the self closing mechanism is expensive to replace.

I'd strip the tailgate down, make sure everything is clean and dry, then go from there

Cheers chaps, I'll probably leave it disconnected if I can do it without affecting the central locking. I'll follow up your suggestions and see how it goes from there.

one position of the rear door lock should isolate it from the central locking

turn the key fully left and remove it - I think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom