W124 estate tailgate locking mechanism

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi All

Someone slammed rear door and the closer stopped working. Door opens and closes fine but the motor has stopped its gripping action so rear hatch rattles over bumps. I have taken it out and have the horrible thing sitting on my table. I am looking to see switches to clean and other things to fix. How do I test it and any hints on where any problems might be?? I can already see what a ball-ache it will be to get back in so I want to do more than just spray switch cleaner & silicone at it...

Have seen one on ebay for £80 but keen to fix this one...

Thanks and Happy Christmas

Tom

2 pics: one of lock from inside the hatch (Hatch fully open, hinges on left of pic) showing the linkages and one with the lock removed and sitting on a piece of wrapping paper!

IMG_5740.jpg IMG_5749.jpg

So, have been looking at the thing and have found the switches under the white plastic cover that pops off. See other pics attached.
The first is a close up of the switch and the contact plate that rises to activate the switch when the hatch is closed. The second shows both switches and the third shows the crank arm from the motor that powers the catch mechanism. Have lubricated and cleaned. Anyone know what else I could do before I put it back. How would I test it electrically on the bench to see if it was working before I wrestle it back in, only to find its still busted? Maybe connect it back to its supply without remounting it and see if it will grab the shaft of a screwdriver or such like? Anyone tried this?

Thanks

IMG_5754.jpg IMG_5750.jpg IMG_5751.jpg

Knowing MB, the mech. might have been carried over to the 210, unchanged.
In which case, I have a known good one for buttons. If I can find it.

Attachments

• 72-270.pdf
    479.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Graeme

Great pdf on the mechanism. Thank you.

Good news on the lock. After thorough cleaning and lubricating of the switches and all moving parts I tested it by plugging it in to the connector and testing the latch with the shaft of a screwdriver and the motor started up as it should. Very satisfying. Will reinstall at some point as I am treating some nasty rust around the sensor hole in the hatch before I stick it back in...A bungee will have to hold it closed for now.

I reckon all these locks will need this TLC at some point. Its pretty easy to do (though I haven't wrestled it back in yet). In hindsight mine has been playing up for a while, especially in the cold and I guess it just needed cleaning and lubricating. It really is an odd thing that mechanism. Such a major piece of complex engineering for such a simple job. Really well made and works beautifully and has been doing it for over 20 years. Gotta love these cars.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom