W124 estate tailgate trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

how do you remove (without breaking anything) the long strip that is at the very bottom of the tailgate lid on a W124 estate.

It appears it may have to slide sidewards?

cheers

derek

will hitting the side of it with a rubber mallet shift it? or is there a better way?

hi

the trim is highlighted in the photo attached.

I've already removed the trim off the donor car but that was already broken and it pulled/levered off, but i'm worried about damaging my good trim... so want to remove it properly. i dont mind buying new clips but dont want to break/damage the actual trim itself.

i have tried to hit the side with a mallet but it wont budge/slide as expected.

thanks in advance!

derek

Attachments

• w124_tailgate_trim.jpg
    w124_tailgate_trim.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
Its off!

however its now also damaged.

It appears there is a difference between how my original trim was held on and the trim on the donor car.

The donor car was held on my about 5 white plastic clips. the whole thing slides sidewards and comes off.

on my car the trim is screwed on. You are supposed to remove the chrome strip and there are screws underneath.

unfortunatly i didnt know this and its come off damaged :( Hopefully i will be able to either repair it or i may just purchase a new one if i can find one reasonably priced.

Derek does the chrome strip just unclip? I need to remove this trim from mine as well and like you do not want to break it.

Derek does the chrome strip just unclip? I need to remove this trim from mine as well and like you do not want to break it.

Yes it will unclip, but be careful.

There may be 4 screws holding it on under the chrome trim. otherwise it will be white plastic clips that means the whole thing can just slide sidewards and pull off. They must of changed the design in 1994 as the actual plastic trim is also different with holders for the clips on one but not on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom