W124 estate with side impact crash damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quenching

Car
'84 W201 2.0E, '91 W124 230TE estate
I have my eye on another nice W124 estate that has had side impact crash damaged repaired, the seller has been upfront about it and says that it needed 2 new doors and to be pulled back into shape on one of those jig thingys.

Is this something that I should just walk away from or if repaired properly nothing to be concerned about?

I have my eye on another nice W124 estate that has had side impact crash damaged repaired, the seller has been upfront about it and says that it needed 2 new doors and to be pulled back into shape on one of those jig thingys.

Is this something that I should just walk away from or if repaired properly nothing to be concerned about?

Unless is dead cheap,walk away.Chassis damage is not good

Ignore like the plague - why buy a damaged/repaired when there are still plenty useable ones for sensible money?

there are still plenty useable ones for sensible money?
Not as many as you would think. Went to Scotland and saw but one all day. Went to Raynes last weekend and saw three, two foriegn registered ones and a lone English registered one. But yes I agree with your first statement, walk away from crashed damaged ones, they will come back to bite you eventually.

Ignore like the plague - why buy a damaged/repaired when there are still plenty useable ones for sensible money?

i'd also second that - plenty of others about, unless its dirt cheap and is something special like mint condition, low mileage, special spec etc. (it would have to be all 3 of those things to make me even consider it and even then i doubt i'd bother).

It might be a cracking bargain. Has it already been repaired? If so has it been VIC'ed? Class C, D or unrecorded?

More info needed really to give an intelligent informed answer.

Do you have any piccies?

Any accident repaired damage to the sill and/or b-pillar will bad news to the W124. I wouldn't want to be the occupant of that car if it ever sees another side impact.

Life's too short to risk it IMHO.

Walk away. I'm sure the right one will come along soon.

Well my wife agrees, this one was to be for her and she won't even consider it so I don't have to either! Pity as it was dark blue with cream leather and air con and 140k miles, exactly what I'm looking for, but my instinct is also to leave this one alone and wait for one that hasn't been crash repaired, no matter how well.

Thanks to all for the advice, much appreciated.

My one will be for sale soon,let me know if intrested

The answer has to be have it inspected nobody on here unless they have inspected it knows, there is a very good chance that someone on here drives a repaired vehicle unless they watched it being built and drove it home of course.

The answer has to be have it inspected nobody on here unless they have inspected it knows, there is a very good chance that someone on here drives a repaired vehicle unless they watched it being built and drove it home of course.

That's a fair point. But one of the limitations with an inspection is that understandably it is only a visual assessment and at best uses non-destructive testing techniques. It wont tell the OP whether the grade of steel used to repair the sill and B-pillar (if applicable) is of the same strength as the OEM spec. A receipt from a reputable garage for the repair would go some way to easy my fears.

Worth considering that many of the 15-20+ year old W124s may have had similar accident damage that was repaired many years ago, but due to the age/value at the time it won't have been recorded. In other words, I'd be inspecting every car to the same standard, not just the ones where the seller has been honest with you :eek:

Eg - a brand new W212 could suffer that kind of damage today and be repaired, it won't be recorded and there's a good chance no-one would ever know.

I'm not advocating the car as I haven't seen it - and I agree, bearing in mind that there's quite a few nice 124s out there still I probably wouldn't have it top of my shortlist, but should the car simply be crushed now because of this incident? Clearly not in the eyes of the insurance industry otherwise they'd have classed it a category A or B write off :)

Will

It takes very little damage to write off a W124 now. I've seen them killed for a bumper & a headlight. So, rather than hold a crucifix up in front of every Cat C or D one as though they were the child of Satan I'd investigate a bit.

You might get a great car that would do you for years for peanuts.

If its visually out of alignment then its probably had quite an impact and at its age you wont know what other areas its affected.
I wouldnt bother with a car of this value, just buy a straight one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom