W124 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Not sure if this car belongs to a member on the forum

All it needs is aircon and would be perfect, can't tell if the wheels are genuine AMG

Price assuming it all stacks up is not a million miles off the truth or is it me?

Mercedes E300 Diesel 124 low mileage 7 seater | eBay UK

The first one is nice but not worth the money (£3000 at the most IMHO) especially without the air-conditioning whilst the second one would make a great project car if the engine and gearbox are sound.

No way is a 17 yr old 150k mile 124 worth over £5k. It is still an old car with looming rust problems etc and NO aircon. £5k will buy you a nice modern car if you look carefully.

The people who buy W124s wouldn't regard a £5k modern car as a remotely close substitute.

The people who buy W124s wouldn't regard a £5k modern car as a remotely close substitute.

Having drven a Smart Passion (semi auto ragtop) yesterday which is worth around 5k. I can whole heartedly agree with that Charles. I know other cars are available at 5k but that was a distainful experience yesterday.

I was going to say it was far too expensive...but what do I know? The seller paid £4000, and then spent a fortune on things.

Last edited:
Having drven a Smart Passion (semi auto ragtop) yesterday which is worth around 5k. I can whole heartedly agree with that Charles. I know other cars are available at 5k but that was a distainful experience yesterday.

I think we need photographic evidence of that for posterity :D

He actually spent more than £5000 in repairs in the 2 years he's had it. What makes this a good car. My car has cost less than half that in the same period. Gives the lie to the w124 myth.

Seen that car a few times in flesh but never had a close look.
I can't understand where did he spend the money on!!!My 124s are very good and never had anything major go wrong and given the diesel ones should even be better

Seen that car a few times in flesh but never had a close look.
I can't understand where did he spend the money on!!!My 124s are very good and never had anything major go wrong and given the diesel ones should even be better

He is trying to sell a car, telling us it cost him £4000 to purchase, and then listing the items he replaced /repaired which more than doubled the purchase cost. Not a good advert for a car he says is great!

"For sale our beloved 1994 Mercedes E300 w124 series Diesel estate. Only 154,000 miles ! Extremely reliable and very economical diesel 7 seater! Always washed and then waxed with MER polish!! and from a non smoking family."

One non smoking family and five smoking previous owners! You gotta laugh. ECONOMICAL...in who's language?

If he needed to replace the glow plugs twice in a year, with some seized, I suspect he was using people who didn't know what they were doing and had him accordingly.

2 electric aerials also seems the work of someone not doing their homework.

Last edited:
...and the rest. It does seem he is trying to sell the car to recoup some of his expenditure.

My sentiments too. If I bought an old car for £4k and then spent another £4k and only managed about 15k miles in it then it would hardly be "beloved".
I suspect that this owner has fallen into the trap of having had too much work done to the car in the misguided view that it is somehow "worth it".
And quite how he has had a rear spring replaced defeats me.

A car with that amount of work done to it cannot have covered just 154,000 miles. Either that or the gentleman has been taken advantage of by his garage. Or he may be a perfectionist. The asked for price is totally unrealistic. In view of the work done, the earlier suggestion of £3k is probably about right. The way I see it, he has worked out that his outlays amount to the depreciation charge on a much newer car. Charles's comments are spot on. Sadly the old w124's are reaching the point when economic logic begins to kick in.

I have a w124 estate ok not a diesel but in good nick all the same, i love my w124 but not that much, i wouldnt pay over 3k for a good diesel, i found one in belfast before i bought my petrol, he only wanted 2.5k and it was a minter, even with airline and ferry tickets it was only around 2800

good luck getting the 5.5k, i hope you get it but fear you may struggle

at that sort of money he will need a lot of good fortune to sell. best of luck to him, we all try to get the best deal eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom