W124 estates for 6yrs. In the last month both original equipment car jacks have collapsed on me? Wh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASHW124estate

Car
Mercedes Benz W124 Estate 300D
New member, but been here for a while. Running old W124 diesel estates for 6yrs. In the last month two original equipment car jacks have collapsed on me - no injuries wasn't underneath or near. Any one else had this happen?

Probably just old age and only designed for occasional use and an expected life of 15 years. I would recommend investing in a trolley jack and axle stands. Don't buy a micky mouse £30 jack though - they are not stable enough - get a half decent 3 tonne with a decent width to the base. They are much more stable than the cheaper ones.

Probably just old age and only designed for occasional use and an expected life of 15 years. I would recommend investing in a trolley jack and axle stands. Don't buy a micky mouse £30 jack though - they are not stable enough - get a half decent 3 tonne with a decent width to the base. They are much more stable than the cheaper ones.
Thanks - yes I was just taking of a wheel, so didn't have trolley jack in place. Will have to just use the trolley jacks all the time. And yes, the Mickey mouse not worth the money nor safe really. Thanks again

Great car btw; I kept mine for much longer than I ever intended and ended up doing over 300,000 miles in it.

Never trust any jack, Jack the car higher the required and then lower on to blocks wood. Shake the car vigorously to check it's safe.

Have you never owned an old car .Side jacks are prone to fail .Jacking points inside the sill of the W124 is built like the London bridge and better than any car on the road to jack up . But the face of the sill around the jacking hole do happen to corrode . From the day i had my W124 i never jack up my car with the mercedes side jack .I have a low lift trolly jack i use and carry with me all the time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom