W124 estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pimpdriver

Car
2002 W210 Elegance Estate
Hello,

I'm normally a VW Audi man,but today I went to see a 7 seater W124 estate. I have always liked big Mercs.

I have read the guidance on here (great advice)and the body was very sound, but the engine (M606 multivalve 3.0D non turbo) had a lot of leaks on it, so I didn't buy it (as I didn't want to fork out a few hundred pounds or more to get it sorted).

I wasn't very keen on the parking brake, or the indicators on the wrong (right!) side.

I have heard and seen lots and lots of W210 horror stories of rust etc, but is it a case of looking at one and checking all around it?

I have seen a nice 1998 S reg for £995,which looks good,but I don't want to waste time visiting it if it is rusty.

Do all Mercs have the foot parking brake and indicators on the wrong side?

Reason being is that even though I would drive it daily, my wife would use it occasionally when her VW Caravelle is off the road, and I don't think she would like it.

Thanks
Steve

Parking brake is the same on almost every Merc, certainly all the big ones.

Indicator stalk will be on the opposite side for the W210.

The parking brake is a lot easier to deal with now I have had both hips replaced !

Indicator stalk should always be next to the window imho, so when changing gear you can still operate the stalk with the hand still on the wheel.

Most German cars leave it on the gear side as this is how it comes on LHD cars and it is just far easier to leave it there.

Also, to put it simply, it is just easier too. :)

Most Mercs being auto means the former matters not, but the fact it is more comfy and easier does, so I always prefer it on the window side.

VW and Audi always put it on the wrong side!

Regarding the Parking brake, does anyone ever actually use it?
Manual car being the exception.

Indicator stalk should always be next to the window imho, so when changing gear you can still operate the stalk with the hand still on the wheel.

Most German cars leave it on the gear side as this is how it comes on LHD cars and it is just far easier to leave it there.

Also, to put it simply, it is just easier too. :)

Most Mercs being auto means the former matters not, but the fact it is more comfy and easier does, so I always prefer it on the window side.

VW and Audi always put it on the wrong side!

Regarding the Parking brake, does anyone ever actually use it?
Manual car being the exception.

They always have it on the left so they don't have to make two sets of stalks!

My partner has my CLK now and knowing she could'nt deal with the same parking brake on my previous W124, I told her not to bother with it, as already said the P on the auto box does the same job-actually, I never bothered with it either when the car was mine.

It says in the manual it is only needed when parking of a steep gradient.

I have heard and seen lots and lots of W210 horror stories of rust etc, but is it a case of looking at one and checking all around it?

W124s rust too they're just better at hiding it with the exception of front wings. More importantly the hidden rust is often structural stuff (rear jacking points/sills, rear subframe mounts, inner wing under the washer bottle) or more difficult to repair... rear side windows on estates, water finds it's way past the seals and rots the frame from the inside out. Check inside the boot side panels as a car that looks good from the outside can be hiding lots of rot here
I'm not up on 210s but AIUI with the exception of front spring perches rust tends to be cosmetic scabs rather than serious rot?

Parking brake is easy enough to get used to and as said rarely need it with an auto (have to put it in park to remove the ignition key anyway on a w124). Personally i use mine regularly but it's more because i've had MOT fails in the past due to them seizing and using it is a lot less aggro than unseizing one that's not been touched in years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom