W124 Exhaust shield off at the front, easy fix?? Too dark to say.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,
Just back from a 500 mile trip – the first big-ish one in the new car – only to hear a strange rattling noise as I left the motorway.
(Incidentally, 25 mpg at 75/85 and the occasional thrash. Is that average?)

I’ve found the cause, it’s the metal shield which protects the centre underside of the car from the heat of the exhaust. It has detached itself at the front. The back is still fixed, but of course, it rattles about. It’s dark here now, and as I’ve got to take the car to Belgium on Sunday with only a one hour window to fix it tomorrow, I would appreciate if anyone could let me know how it’s fixed on. It would save me some time, perhaps.
It feels like it has slid off the front, I can’t feel any screw/bolt holes or brackets on the part, but therfe does appear to be a lip which it might sit-on, but that’s so un-Merc. I can’t quite get to the back – and it’s hot, very hot, nearby.
If it’s held at the back, and if push comes to shove etc, could I drive it another 500 and fix it later? Not ideal, I know. Or is the back likely to follow the front pretty soon?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
It’s a 300ce 24v, 1990.
Cheers,
Paul

The shield, in common with many external covers and shields, is fixed to studs which were fastened to the underside of the car.

These rust away, partly due to time and exposure to the elements, but also I think due to galvanitic corrosion from the aluminium shield beibg in contsact with the steel studding.

The answer is to get under the car and under the carpets inside and reinstall some way of securely fixing the shields.

Mine has been off for some time whilst I get round to doing just that, and the car has come to no harm.

Better to try and remove it temporarily than risk losing it.

Tony

Many thanks for the info Tony.

I managed to get it on a ramp and discovered that the front one had popped-out and one of the rears. I'd been getting a rattle at 5000 rpm, now it's gone. I think I was running on two, and when the second one popped-off the big kettle-drum noise started.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
25mpg at the speeds you're talking about sounds ok in my experience.

I've got about 29ish on a long run and as little as 16 around town..

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom