W124 Failed MOT going to have to scrap without a miracle. PLEASE HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpv01

My W124 E300d multivalve failed its MOT as the front mounts of the rear sub frame were very corroded and on the off side they were rusted through so even when jacking the rear the wheel stayed on the floor. The near side wasnt rusted through but it was on its way.

No sign off this on the MOT 12 months ago although I have done a lot of miles in that time. Car feels fine to drive.

The garage doesn't do welding so didnt want to say if it could be fixed without a lot of work that would cost alot but have recommended somewhere that may do it so i need to get a quote.

is this a common killer of these cars as they get older? the rest of the car is tip top and engine is sweet at 242,000 miles.

CAN ANYONE HELP OR MAKE SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I TAKE THE CRUNCH AND TAKE THIS BEAUT OF A CAR TO THE SCRAPPERS???

it is criminal to scrap a w124...
DONT DO IT!!
I know some good welders..
where are you based?

i am based well down in SW wales but would be happy to travel but MOT has now expired.

i am based well down in SW wales but would be happy to travel but MOT has now expired.

Ring around local garages for a decent quote, may be an expensive job though, all depends on what needs to be stripped out prior to welding.

You can drive a car without an MOT to a test centre as long as you have a pre-arranged MOT test appointment. I guess if you're getting the welding done at garage where they also MOT, you'll be okay?

Yep, I was going to mention Howard's old 124. I think that had a similar job that needed doing.

I guess what I'd be asking myself is this:

How much is the car currently worth?
How much will the work cost and how much will it be worth once fixed?

How long are you intending to keep the car for and what other stuff needs doing or is likely to need doing soon?

If the sums stack up (ie, good solid car that doesn't need much else doing to it) then I'd go ahead and fix it. Otherwise, if it's needing TLC elsewhere and you're not planning to keep it forever, perhaps it's time to move on.

I'm sure as a spares-or-repairs jobbie, a 300D multivalve will find quite a few interested punters. Plenty of cheap cars out there at the moment too.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

Will

This is not going to be a cheap job thats for sure. The rear subframe will need to be dropped out and then welding repairs completed then re-assembled. Goes without saying that the subframe bushes should be changed as well - these are about £70 or so for the pair. I guess it depends on what the rest of the car is like...if the rest is all good then it is probably worth doing - I am guessing it is going to be £500 all in or thereabouts. If the rest of the car has a number of issues then it does beg the question if it is worth doing.
Is it an estate or a saloon? If estate what are the self levelling suspension pipes like? if the sub frame is down it would be a good time to change them - but of course adds to the expense.

i think i may of found a place to do the welding just trying to get everything lined out before getting a quote. Is the subframe bushes smiley mentions above the same as the below from the GSF catalogues??

M42205
edge-line.gif
STUB AXLE BUSH-REAR LOWER
edge-line.gif
edge-line.gif
edge-line.gif
Add

Just make sure they are good German OEM quality FEBI-BILSTEIN or LEMFORDER should be fine. Look carefully at the area round about these mounts----- rear wheel arches---rear sills and jacking points these are also expensive body repairs. An estate version of the w124 will have more retained value than a saloon in the long term. As been said above assess the whole car's value ( this may be how much you value it as a desirable vehicle to drive as well as its basic market value) work out the cost of the subframe repair and any other pending repairs and decide whether you want to spend the money or move on.

I think mine was around £600 , but that was pound notes. ;)

Gotta ask yourself , how much do you love the car , and can you afford to buy another one at the moment .

The bonus of having your own car sorted is that you know the history , if you scrap it and buy another , that could be as much of a gamble !

Good luck

tpv

Is it £9.90p you are asking about ?

If so, NO.

The front bushes come as a kit from Merc dealer at around £79 (last time)
including bolts etc.

They will be correct sheer factor for the chassis concerned.

Give the full VIN number.

There have been updates and mods to these mounts so only go with Merc.

tpv

Is it £9.90p you are asking about ?

If so, NO.

The front bushes come as a kit from Merc dealer at around £79 (last time)
including bolts etc.

They will be correct sheer factor for the chassis concerned.

Give the full VIN number.

There have been updates and mods to these mounts so only go with Merc.

ok so those £9.90 ones are something completely different?? is the £79 for the complete kit or just one side? when was the last time if you dont mind me asking?

i take what you guys say about considering the value of the car etc before taking the dive but i am in a difficult situaition now where i suddenly need the car and as it is insured and taxed and otherwise i would have to pay to scrap it rather than fixing it and selling it down the line. if it is a riduculous cost i will cut my losses but i am willing to give it a chance so to to condem another perfectly decent car in every other way to the scrap heap.

ok so those £9.90 ones are something completely different?? is the £79 for the complete kit or just one side? when was the last time if you dont mind me asking?

Given your car's not worth a fortune, I'd use the GSF bushes to keep the cost down to a realistic level.

i take what you guys say about considering the value of the car etc before taking the dive but i am in a difficult situaition now where i suddenly need the car and as it is insured and taxed and otherwise i would have to pay to scrap it rather than fixing it and selling it down the line. if it is a riduculous cost i will cut my losses but i am willing to give it a chance so to to condem another perfectly decent car in every other way to the scrap heap.

tvp

The merc kit is for the two front mounts complete - includes both sides front (2xbushes, plus 2xlong bolts, plus 2xspecial washers)

I did mine last year.

I just looked on GSF and it states that front subframe bush is £28 for 1 part.

Is that each single bush ?

If so two bushes is £56 and does that include the bolts and the washers ?

If not, then extra cost, and then add VAT on top.

Go with Merc for the small extra cost.

You can show the receipt to next buyer of car and will help with the sale.

Warning: there was a recent post on one of these UK forums of a member buying aftermarket bushes for antiroll bar.

He showed picturs of the mangled state of them after a few thousand miles, and then had to go buy original parts from the dealer, which of course as we know will last for at least 10 years and at least 100,000 miles.

It just is not worth the hassle using these aftermarket parts for such a small saving - it is such an unreliable gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom