W124 Flickering Headlights - Dashboard warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Since buying the Coupe whenever I put my leadlights on a bright orangy coloured light appears on the instrument binnacle - its annoying but I just thought it was normal. Ive since been told that it is not, and infact indicates a probelm with the headlights. The headlights, indicators and sidelights all work, but the Driver side headlight does flicker a little (as does the interior illumination at idle). Im guessing a bad earth perhaps? but having looked at the connectors they all appear clean and firmly attached.

Anything I can check?, its not a massive problem, but if there something I can do that would be great.

Cheers
Simon

Yep , check them all.

Also , don't forget your numberplate lights on the rear.

The bulb warning system on the w124 is very sensitive, it has been said that it is so sensitive it can even warn of bulbs about to fail ( as the filament degrades ) .

Take the offending bulbs out check the contacts and that they are seated properly , check the wires too , it will be either a loose wire or a bad earth.

check the bulbs are actually the correct wattage. we had one in Nats where someone had used the wrong bulb. whilst it worked it also activated the warning system - I spent ages going through all the bulbs before i cottoned on to the fact that the actual bulb might be at fault. as you can expect by now it was the very last one i checked:rolleyes:

check the bulbs are actually the correct wattage. we had one in Nats where someone had used the wrong bulb. whilst it worked it also activated the warning system - I spent ages going through all the bulbs before i cottoned on to the fact that the actual bulb might be at fault. as you can expect by now it was the very last one i checked:rolleyes:

I too found my tail light bulbs to be a different wattage.

And again, it too was the last one I checked. Probably because I stopped checking once it was fixed.:D

Cheers Guys!

Blimey, so it isnt just for the head lights then, I was just going to take the bulb out from the dash ;) to sort it. The car does have the clear front indicator lenses so I can check them but I can see they are oranage bulbs, so should be ok. What wattage should the various bulbs be?

Early estate rear sidelights - 5 Watt. Late estate rear sidelights - 10 Watt
Assume nothing...

Bad number plate light bulbs trigger the lamp fail indicator as well as sidelights, brake lights & headlights

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

DAMN, you guys are good!!

Just checked the lights again and BINGO! the number plate light is Kaput.

I Love this fourm :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Well I just replaced the bulbs , and they still dont light up... the boot interior light works and to be fair the old bulbs look to be fine as well. Any further hints anyone?

Cheers
Simon

Ok , you need to check the wiring where it runs through the hinge on the left hand side ...

Somewhere it will have a break in it , a very common w124 problem.

Eventually the wire just snaps through being opened and closed all the time ...

It can be a very annoying fault to isolate.

The boot interior light is controlled by the switch on the boot lid , so at least not every wire is broken ...

Flikering Lights Issue

Since buying the Coupe whenever I put my leadlights on a bright orangy coloured light appears on the instrument binnacle - its annoying but I just thought it was normal. Ive since been told that it is not, and infact indicates a probelm with the headlights. The headlights, indicators and sidelights all work, but the Driver side headlight does flicker a little (as does the interior illumination at idle). Im guessing a bad earth perhaps? but having looked at the connectors they all appear clean and firmly attached.

Anything I can check?, its not a massive problem, but if there something I can do that would be great.

Cheers
Simon

Was your issueresolved????

S55 AMG - I seem to be having a similar FLICKERING LIGHT issue. The car also indicates faulty warning issue of number plate bulb failure warning light coming on now and again without reason. All the external lights are OK. I checked the number plate lights and look O.K. but every now & again I get the fault message. Do I have to change the lamps????? At the same time I have also noticed that the lights (including the interior cabin light, cluster lights & all external lamps) flicker very slightly when the enigine is running or ideling. I WONDER IF THE ISSUE IS RELATED???
LASTLY, When both the front seat massage (pulse switch) are turned on than the seat massage operates for a very short while. When switch is reactivated it would BLINK for a few seconds and go off. Any suggestions????

Thanks for reading & responses welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom