W124 for tall drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilG

Car
'08 S211 320 CDI Sport
I assumed this wouldn't be a problem being built for tall Germans but I recently went to look at a E34 535i Sport and didn't really fit in it at all. I am 6'7" so can someone just reassure me I'll be okay in a W124? I usually drive a mk2 VW Golf GTI which is fine so I was surprised such a luxobarge was too small.

Hi that's funny we were talking about this at the GTG :) is your height in your legs or your body? you should be ok though!

You can only truly tell by trying it out. If your height is from your legs and you can get the seat far enough back then you should be ok. If it's in your body, then the seat needs to be able to lower enough. But the only way is to try.;)

It will also be affected if the car has manual or electric seats as the electric seats don't have as much range as manual - think that's the right way round.

Bizarre how these sbjects crop up - been a few discussions about it of late. There was another thread on here recenty too as well as discussions at the weekend gtg.

Ok thanks everyone, sounds like I'll cope.

Ok thanks everyone, sounds like I'll cope.
Depends on your leg length. You really need to sit in and try one.

I have a 6ft 3in friend with 29 inch inside leg measurement. Very tall body, short legs. I am almost 6ft but have 33 inch inside leg. Been a real problem with cars all my life. BMW 5 series is hopeless and 7 series, believe it or not.

You should be fine mate...worst case open the sunroof ;) or do as "hightower" done in police academy and take out the front seat! :)

Sorry just had the police academy picture in my head :eek:

I'm 6'3 with a 34" inside leg and can get the electric seats in my W124 back so far I struggle to reach the pedals :)

However any space in the back is seriously compromised

HTH

Andy

I am 6'4" with a 36 inch leg and my old 7 series with electric seats was fine, I could put the seat back so far back I couldn't touch the pedals! I have since driven a W124 300TE and it was perfect, the seats are nicer than E32 electric leathers as well.

6'3" and 36" leg and my seat (electric) rubs against the leather on the rears in the coupe for my normal driving position but I just slide it forward a couple of mil. In my old w124 estate it was fine, though legroom in the back was a little tight.
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37659
Has a pic of the position for me in the coupe.

Last edited:
Bah I don't care about legroom in the back - they can suffer for the privilege of being in the car with me. Its rare there's something I don't fit in though, most things are fine. I've done hundreds of miles in Puntos and all sorts of small rentals, usually no problem.

5 foot 7 inches and with the seat back I cannot even reach the steering wheel on a 124 :D :devil:

5 foot 7 inches and with the seat back I cannot even reach the steering wheel on a 124 :D :devil:
As was evident when you took mine for a test drive! I only realised afterwards that the plastic runner was catching on the carpet which meant you couldn't get the electric seat to move forward far enough to be truly comfy. Hate to think what speed we would have done away from the lights had you been closer to the loud pedal...:devil:

I assumed this wouldn't be a problem being built for tall Germans but I recently went to look at a E34 535i Sport and didn't really fit in it at all. I am 6'7" so can someone just reassure me I'll be okay in a W124? I usually drive a mk2 VW Golf GTI which is fine so I was surprised such a luxobarge was too small.

I'm not quite 6'7 (well actually 6'2 ;) ), but both my W124s were fine. Like others, if the seats is positioned right back, I can't reach the pedals, so you should be fine! :)

Darren

My W124 Cabriolet seems to have plenty of headroom, and it's for sale.

Sorry, I'll go stand in the stupid corner

Hate to think what speed we would have done away from the lights had you been closer to the loud pedal...:devil:
I will bring a couple of pillows and a block or two for the pedals next time, then I can really drive it :devil: :D Joking aside Dougal's car is magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom