W124 front and side indicator not working!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

the front and side (drivers side) indicators are not working. the rear indicator on that side (along with all the other side) are working correctly.

the bulb-faliure is on and also ticks very quickly when indicating in that direction.

i have changed the bulb for a new one without success.... also checked the fuses. i dont think the bulb is at fault as both the front and side indicators are out and a new bulb (tested working on other side) doesnt fix the issue.

its a 1994 E300D estate W124.

any ideas?

cheers

Derek

Try cleaning the holders for the front and side indicator bulbs. Damp and corrosion can cause a good bulb to not function correctly.

+1 for the Scott's suggestion - i'd also put the indicator on and move the bulb(s) about to see if it then comes on and do the same with the wiring if no result. Let us know how you get on.

+1 for the Scott's suggestion - i'd also put the indicator on and move the bulb(s) about to see if it then comes on and do the same with the wiring if no result. Let us know how you get on.

i tried that unfortunatly - no luck. The side and front indicators both stopped working at the same time..... i suspect the fault lies somewhere in the wiring???? but where?

Use a test light to check it.
The wire will be black/green or black/white (can't remember which is left or right)

Jam the point of the test light into any connectors and scrape it around to make a good connection.

If you really want to be brutal, you can cut through the insulation with a hacksaw balade to expose the copper wire and test it there. (wrap some tape around the cut when finished.

Honestly, it's not that hard to locate a fault like this unless it is hidden somewhere inaccessible.

Worst case? Unless the car is in concours condition, splice a wire into the part of the circuit that IS working (says Ted, the scotchlok king) and run a wire to the front of the car.

thanks - i'll have a tinker around with it at the weekend.....

We had this last week on a 124. Turned out to be a corroded earth terminal.

We had this last week on a 124. Turned out to be a corroded earth terminal.

i could run a bit of wire and earth it myself to verify this? do you know where the earth wire terminates for the drivers side front indicator?

i could run a bit of wire and earth it myself to verify this? do you know where the earth wire terminates for the drivers side front indicator?
Its on the headlight panel (under the bonnet) by the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom