W124 fuel/brake/sls pipes + subframe bushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
On my MOT last month, one of the advisories was "corrosion on fuel pipe" which the examiner did show me, though I'm not convinced it was the fuel pipe as it could easily have been for the sls or brakes.

Either way, I'm going to get it up on a ramp next week to have a proper look as I think there are least 2 pipes over the rear sub frame that have started to corrode.

The first question is whether the MB pipes come pre-formed, or as a length of pipe that needs to be shaped to fit? I assume the later, in which case, is tehre any benefit to using genuine MB parts for this?

Secondly, are all of the fuel/sls/brake pipes safe to replace with cupro nickel? if so, does anybody know the diameter needed and a good place to purchase this? I've googled it and can only find demon tweeks.

Not sure which route to go yet, cupro nickel or genuine MB steel.

While the sub frame is lowered I'll have a good look at the sub frame and underside in case of corrosion and probably replace the bushes as a matter of course as at 18 years and counting there can't be much life left in them.

Are the rear sub frame bushes the same for all W124 variants? my reg doesn't work on the ecp site, and when entering car details manually there is no differentiation between saloon, coupe or estate, and the part description isn't helping. The GSF site is frankly a joke, so no help there either.

Are these the ones I'd need for an estate? (1993 320TE)

Mercedes-Benz | Euro Car Parts UK

Thanks in advance.

if it's brake pipes you need, go to Merc dealer.

you will be pleasantly surprised at prices for made up brake pipes to exact length with all fittings.

Just need bending to shape.

supply VIN when ordering and they will be in branch in 2 days (normally).

We make all our own sls and brake pipes. Much less labour intensive making your own. We have done two this week.

the question is directed to BlackC55: do you replace them with the copper ones? thanks.

For brake its fine to use copper, its a hell of a lot easier to fit as its pliable.
Remember the originals were fitted when there was no subframe or suspension on the car!

For SLS etc I use MB parts only.. the pipe is a much larger diameter so normal copper brake piping wont cut it as there is a fair bit of pressure and it will most likely leak at the joints...but the MB stuff is a hell of a pig to fit as it doesnt bend easily at all..

There are local suppliers that keep the correct diameter pipe but its difficult to know the exact length you need... and if you dont know the length they cant flare the ends over for the fittings - This is really difficult with the SLS pipe (if you dont have industrial equipment) as its so tough to work with.

Same with Fuel pipes, stick to MB...

I will be doing all the pipes and SLS stuff on my 300TE and have ordered all MB stuff... all the hoses for the SLS came to around £150 - includes rubber, metal and all the connections etc.

You can use 8mm copper pipes for the fuel and sls pipes. It's much easier to work with and will last for years.

jay, when you ordered the parts, did you give them the part numbers, or did you just tell them what you wanted?

90/10 copper nickel seamless pipe is available in all popular diameters and is suitable for all vehicle applications.
It is easy to bend, flare and fit and is easily-able to cope with all pressures that will be encountered.
It's strength, corrosion resistance and resistance to damage is superior to copper.

jay, when you ordered the parts, did you give them the part numbers, or did you just tell them what you wanted?

I have the parts catalogue but if you call them with your reg or chassis number they cant really get it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom