W124 fuel filler flap question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

For those of you with a W124 4-door saloon, can you answer this question: does your car have an extra 'space' for a fuel filler opening under the filler flap?

Like the extra circular shape on this one:
123805807233372.jpg

I'm wondering if it would be usable as an LPG filler - to avoid the typical (and awfully ugly and amateurish) LPG filler that you see ruining the flanks of many converted cars.

I think I remember some sort of complication about LPG fillers having to be visible (fire safety?), so perhaps that's an idea-killer. (Not seen how Volvo and other factory bi-fuel cars do their fillers...)

Last edited:
i have 2 w124 mate but i dont have any extra space

Curious... That car - a '94 300D - is at www.realmb.co.uk which is where I first spotted the dual-hole thing. For some reason they often photograph under the filler flap, and I've seen several like that there.

Here's an '87 260E at the same place:
122762095581950.jpg

And the nautic blue 500E (that they finally sold):
120904522679658.jpg

W124 saloons are such bargains, that one of them with LPG conversion would make a great and cheap-to-run cruiser to keep forever.

I reckon its for some emission control type filter for the tank in some markets?? Or another filler cap for an alternative fuel tank. I would guess this is an indication these cars were not British at first registration but imports???

Last edited:
Neither of my W124 estates had that arrangement ; nor have I seen it on any other model .

I agree it would be a 'neat' place for the additional filler for an LPG conversion .

I have contemplated converting various cars I have had , and thought of cutting out the fuel filler aperture and flap from a donor car in a scrapyard , then welding into the rear wing on the other side , also connecting in the vacuum actuator for the central locking .

I have a '93 W124 e220 saloon and it has the extra space as in the pics

I have a '93 W124 e220 saloon and it has the extra space as in the pics

Interesting - do you know if it was first registered in the UK? (Ref the comment above) The V5 would say if it was previously registered overseas.

Pontoneer - I think the W124 estates I've seen all have the shorter filler flap - so no room for the extra orifice/blank.

I never had a W124 saloon so have never noticed a difference in flap length . Do all saloons have a 'long' flap ? How about coupes ?

I just went out and looked at my W126 , no room there either for an additional 'orifice' , but if I was converting that car I'd fit a flap on the 'other side' .

If ede 220 puts his VIN in here the full listing version should indicate the country of the dealer that supplied the car originally. http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng manalishi you could try one of the VINS of the cars you are interested in?

Last edited:
There are a number of late-registered W124 saloons running around which were produced in India from kits after European production had switched to the W210 . A number of these cars then found their way back to these shores . The models in question tend to be entry level ones with fairly basic spec and different suspension to suit the dirt roads in India .

I entered the VIN as suggested at #10 by grober, and it says it was supplied by a dealer in Britain in '93.
So the confusion continues.......

Thanks EDE. I remain mystified... Don't think MB ever did a factory bi-fuel car?

:)

Still a mystery then. I have seen pictures like this on W124 cars in the USA and Australia. Could be something as trivial as a batch of body pressings designed for certain markets finding their way into "the mainstream" at one point simply to use them up, or to cover a supply shortage on the production line??

My 230e has the larger fuel cap and the blanked off hole. It was originally supplied to a Liberian dealer in 1990 and has a few other african spec bits and bobs. Only noticed it today!

My 1995 facelift E300 Diesel saloon has the space for the extra filler.

It was UK dealer supplied and first registered in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom