W124 gearbox issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thedoc01

Car
300ce w124
Hi all.
I could use some advice on a 300ce gearbox problem im having. When i select drive the car seems to pull off in 3rd gear, 1st or second dont seem to be there. I have no kickdown at this point yet when at speed the car will kickdown from 4th to 3rd as it should. When i select 2nd the car will fly off the mark no problem so the gears are there but dont engage in drive. No idea where to start looking so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Engine is the m103 straight 6 with the 4 speed autobox. Thanks in advance.

I'd start by checking the ATF level on the dipstick - low fluid can cause strange malfunctions .

Check the fluid but I think your problem will be more substantial... I dont know the gearbox well enough but could be anything - id be starting with the valve body.

+1 with Pontoneer, was one of the first things I had done when I bought mine. Should be changed around every 40k. To check level, car should be brought up to temperature on level ground with engine running.

+1 with pontoneer ???? total novice . gear box was stripped and the k3 clutch replaced a few monts back, could there be a sensor or something that may have come adrift?

i would suspect bowden cable. it happened to me when cable came off and only 3rd and 4rt where avalaible.

Thats true, those gearboxes do have those cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom