W124 General sound system advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
I've recently purchased a 94 e220 coupe and need to upgrade the sound system.

I have installed an oldish Pioneer DEH-4100R head unit, a JVC Digifine AX504 amp (4 x 80w) and a 10" Pioneer sub in a rather large unported wedge shaped uncarpeted box.

I have bought 4 x Rainbow KX120 speakers (thanks ray smith for the 10% off), 2 of which I have installed in the front and when I figure out how, 2 x in the rear.

The amp only powers the sub using 2 x channels bridged.

The advice I am after is :
- How to get the KX120's into the rear, I have removed the old cones but is using silicone bathroom sealer the only option?

- With the fuel tank behind the rear seats, my sub doesn't sound too great. Has anyone any experience in getting a good clean bass sound using just one sub. I am willing to replace with a 12" JL Audio 300w in a more sensible sized box but am unsure if the 2 x channels will be strong enough to power it. I am not an expert so I don't know how much difference just a good box would make.

- Is it worth amplifying the 4 x speakers. They are rated at 100w with a nominal handling of 20-60w, the head unit is 4 x 45w

- and finally I noticed the old speakers were 6ohm but the rainbows are 4ohm. is this anything to worry about?

All advice is greatly appreciated

Things in the way of the sub shouldnt make much difference really as the low frequency sound should be able to get through most things, sounds like you may just need a bigger sub/box or more power in that department.

I amp all my speakers, always do as its not hard to run a 4 channel amp for them, or a 6 channel to run the subs as well, conventional wisdom says amp the front door speakers and make sure they are descent components as they provide the majority of the sound and the rears are just to fill in and make the sound appear to come from in front of you, however i tend to whack some big 6x9's on the shelf so that on the days i feel like havin it bloody loud i have the power, i've got a boxed and ported 12" sub in the boot of my coupe and it can produce way more bass than i need, smaller sub gives punchier sound but im getting that from my 6X9's anyway.

thanks popuptoaster, how much power do you give your sub and what spec is the sub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom