W124 Head Gasket Oil Leak!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

legrandfromage

Car
300TD
My 1990 300TD is leaking oil from (what looks to me like) the head-gasket just above the vacuum pump. There is no oil in the coolant etc. just a persistent drip.

Is this an urgent problem, or can I leave it for a bit? Also, I've come across some advice that a blown head-gasket can cause a prominent clacking type noise. If this is true, I've definitely got one of those..

I'm assuming that I need a new head-gasket and there are no quick-fixes. My car's done ~145k, so is there anything else the garage should do while they have the head off?

Do a "sniffer" test firstly to check for combustion gas in the coolant. Post a pic up of the leak too

so is there anything else the garage should do while they have the head off?
If the head does have to come off it would be worth while changing the glow plugs. Take the scenario. Glow plug fails a week after the head has been off. Glow plug snaps when being removed. Head off again for most people. :doh:

I can't find my camera...but the leak is right next to the fuel filter, and above the vacuum pump. I also utilized my sniffometer to analyse the aroma of the coolant. I smells like coolant and is crystal clear.

I will get the glow plugs done, but what about the timing chain/tensioners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom