W124 Headlight adjuster Leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joloke

Car
89 Mercedes 230e
I am finally getting on track with my car and after curing a few issue i noticed a hissing sound coming from the dash :dk:

Turned out it was coming from the headlight adjuster.

Now i have had this dash apart a few times but so had somebody before me :eek:

I have had those lines off and put them back in the same positions but are those positions right?

Bottom pipe is all Purple,Top Purple with Yellow Stripe.............

Here is a photo ;)

IMG_0540_zpspix6h8g5.jpg

If they are on the right way around how do I figure out if its the pipes or switch leaking?

Have a look at the headlights. The leak is often there and the hiss can be heard from the switch.

Thanks I will check in the morning ;)

Does anybody know if the pipes are on the switch the right way around?

The previous owner was a bit of a bodge it bill :rolleyes:

All my cars have three vacuum lines at that adjuster. Solid purple supply in the centre, purple/yellow output top and bottom.

All my cars have three vacuum lines at that adjuster. Solid purple supply in the centre, purple/yellow output top and bottom.

I only have two connectors?

So does that mean my vacuum tubes should be the other way around?

I know some versions have external air tanks so I guess why three lines?

Mine only has two Purple Yellow top Purple bottom just wondering if they are indeed the wrong way around?

I only have two connectors?

So does that mean my vacuum tubes should be the other way around?

I know some versions have external air tanks so I guess why three lines?

Mine only has two Purple Yellow top Purple bottom just wondering if they are indeed the wrong way around?

Swap them over and try it. One of them has got to be right.

If it uses the same colour throughout the Purple/Yellow is at the lights meaning I have them the wrong way around.............

I only replaced them as they were but the cars previous owner was a bit of a bodger :(

Ive also has the economy meter vacuum off didn't realise it was joined to the lighting adjuster ;)

Ill check that too :)

At number 6 I don't have that?

Unless of coarse in reality its nowhere near the switch itself?

Again, on my cars, solid purple is supply and purple/yellow goes to the headlights. Best way for you to be certain would be to trace the solid vacuum lines especially if someone has been there before you.
I'm continually amazed at the amount of detail differences MB managed to pack into these cars, seems there's no such thing as a standard 124.

That said, I've found the original source where goober lifted the first illustration from and that looks very much aftermarket to me, possibly dealer fit.

It looks like on your setup the headlight adjuster gets its supply from the economy gauge so you'll need to reconnect that before anything can happen at the lights. On mine it gets supplied direct from the engine.

Item 6 is a check valve and should really be somewhere between the adjuster and wherever it is the installer hacked into the economy supply line.

You just need to work through the plumbing methodically- blocking off the various "branches" to check for presence of vacuum [ absence of hissing and function restored ] be aware the plastic lines are usually fine its the rubber connectors /junctions that perish or crack.

Thanks for all the help guys,the pipes were on the wrong way around!

Underneath I have a very honest car but the previous owner was the sort that needs adult supervision with a tool box!

While I had the lover dash out because if his bodgery I took clear pics of everything attached so I could put it all back how I found it :thumb:

When I first removed the sad Purple/Yellow was at the top so that's how I put it back like the photo I had taken.

I just followed Purple/Yellow back to the lights and that should be on the bottom of the switch not the top!

The car started life as a demo,then was owned from around 1990 to 2015 by the same Doctor owner but he gave up driving in 2011 so it spent 4 years off the road :(

Then start of last yeah a moron bought it with grandeur of posh motoring without spending anything on it! After that I came in and I am trying to do the right thing by the car now ;)

There is no end to this bodgery when I got the car all the tires looked great until they started to loose air it turned out all were 17 years old full of cracks and the vendor had literally filled every one with tire foam! They were full!

Well that's another thing the idiot done wrong ticked off the list..............................

Next!!!!!??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom