W124 I’m new to this site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulbailey

Car
W124 convertible
Hello I’m looking to talk to people about w124 convertible, I have the chance of getting one cheap, but it’s not well and been dumped and left for a good few years. Iv owned a w124 coupe once. So I know my way round one. But I’d like to ask some questions to you guys and girls regarding the one I can get cheap.
Look forward to hearing back
Kind regards Paul

Welcome Paul . The convertable W124 is worth repairing because you dont see many about and very few for sale . Only thing i can say is that the convertable cars, not only Mercedes but most types of convertable do get rust inside ,due to them being convertables . If the roof is not looked after rain gets in to the car and will rot out .
Rust on body parts like front wings and rear wheel arches can be replaced ,,or new metal put in .But the matching up of the colour after will be very hard .Normal celullar paint is better to match up but metalic is not. Thing is if you do get the car back in form you wont loose on it . Do you know what engine is fitted to the car ?

Very difficult to assess without some pictures of the car. Cars that are abandonned often have major faults which may be very expensive to repair. Many aspects of a cars systems cannot be tested in a non runner- engine transmission brakes steering etc but in a convertible the roof mechanism cannot be tested and these need expert fettling to get right. While desirable classics they are not rare enough to command huge premiums and only immaculate examples fetch strong money
Mercedes W124 Cabriolet: Guilty Pleasures | PistonHeads

Welcome Paul . The convertable W124 is worth repairing because you dont see many about and very few for sale . Only thing i can say is that the convertable cars, not only Mercedes but most types of convertable do get rust inside ,due to them being convertables . If the roof is not looked after rain gets in to the car and will rot out .
Rust on body parts like front wings and rear wheel arches can be replaced ,,or new metal put in .But the matching up of the colour after will be very hard .Normal celullar paint is better to match up but metalic is not. Thing is if you do get the car back in form you wont loose on it . Do you know what engine is fitted to the car ?
Good morning

thanks for getting back . It’s has a 220 petrol . Roof is goodish and inside has broken bits and bits missing , but I guess I could use coupe parts , it’s a P plate and I was always told the later CE where proud to have rust . I’m in talks with the owner, he will never repair it , it’s just a dream but he wants £3000 . Which is cheap but there are 2 on eBay for sale for £5000 on the road .could do with a small tidy up and 1 at £3800 same again needs small attention ....but the one I’m in talks with needs ... tyres , breaks , wings bonnet . Inside sorting out wind screen. And that’s before Iv even started it and checked running.

Very difficult to assess without some pictures of the car. Cars that are abandonned often have major faults which may be very expensive to repair. Many aspects of a cars systems cannot be tested in a non runner- engine transmission brakes steering etc but in a convertible the roof mechanism cannot be tested and these need expert fettling to get right. While desirable classics they are not rare enough to command huge premiums and only immaculate examples fetch strong money
Mercedes W124 Cabriolet: Guilty Pleasures | PistonHeads
Hello
I understand, it’s a tough even though the owner wants about £3000 but it’s not worth that I think £1500 max. I don’t want to make any profit I just like to tinker and return to the road .but like you say could be all kinds of buried problems but at £1500 I would gamble .... not at £3000 though .There are 2 on eBay at moment 1 at £5000 on the road not mint but usable and another at £3800 both seem ok and are running

You could easily spend another £3-5k bringing the car up to scratch. It's amazing how a series of minor faults/ replacements can start to add up and decent quality non routine W124 parts [ like the R129] are increasing in price now - when they are available

Welcome, Paul. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom