w124 ignition barrel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chopperread

just gone to put my key in and had a right struggle to get it in and turn it on!how hard is it to take barrel out and is it possible to repair or do i need another one,please take it slow/easy on the technical advice(slow,not dumb)
cheers mick

Get it out *NOW* before it locks permanently. £50 gets you a new one matched to your existing key at the stealership.

If you dont you'll end up HERE

oh my god!!!!!!!!
i've left key in position 1,and the things(best not to call it what i usually do)on my drive.
the only problem i have now isthat i can't find what its supposed to be called on GSF(hey its an old knackered merc,not a new 1)so i'm not gonna pay stealers prices,can anyone tell me what it is called,i've tried ignition lock/barrel/key all to no avail,someone must have a better description
cheers mick

That's sound advice from Spike. A jammed lock will cost you a lot more than £50

you won't get a lock barrel from anywhere other than the dealers. Most of them will sell you an "emergency" lock for about £30 which isn't matched to your car's door locks.

if you need to know what model your car is just post the first few nmbers from the chassis number on here and someone will tell you :)

HTH

Andy

Having changed all the locks on my 124's a number of times if you need help just give a shout.

I had the ignition barrel changed on a '93 280E a couple of years ago. The part was about £50 and the main dealer fitted it for free as it only took about 2 minutes, (using a special tool).It took about a week to get the part which was matched to my key using the info held on the dealers computer. I had to take my registration certificate in for proof of ownership.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom