W124 Ignition coils

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GP801

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK, Volvo XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro EV
Our 1995 S124 280 seems to have a real appetite for ignition coils. It has had 2 complete sets in the last 4 years. The latter set in october 2008 were genuine mercedes fitted by a main agent in France.(Dont know origin of the others) In Jan 2010 it had number 3/4 replaced to sort out a misfire and it has now just had the same one replaced again for a misfire. Is this unusual? Are there any underlying causes to look for. Wiring loom was replaced september 2008. It has done 132,000 miles.
Any advice welcome. Thanks
Nigel

Are you sure the problem is not with the "extenders" item 8 and 89 here [part listing is innaccurate] or other parts of the high tension leads. çàï÷àñòè Mercedes: êîäû çàï÷àñòåé ìåðñåäåñ

You say the engine wiring loom was renewed in 2008 but sometimes odd components are not included??? I hope you insisted that MB parts were used thro-out since pattern parts are known to cause problems. Are you using the correct grade of spark plug? I tend to favour NGK nowadays since I feel their quality is more consistent then Bosch.

Thanks.Loom was genuine mercedes - I have receipt. Plugs genuine mercedes. Coil packs were genuine and as far as I can tell extenders were changed aswell - the invoice is in french but from main agent. Local dealer can find no other issues. In fact mercedes local dealer is going to put this thru as goodwill/parts warranty as they feel should not have failed so soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom