W124 Ignition: out, but can't get together!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chilsta

Car
'94 S124 E300D
I've read numerous threads online about replacing the ignition barrel. I had mine out and serviced by a local locksmith.

I've managed to get the barrel back in OK, but when I slide the hardened collar over the top, the only position it seems to want to go back into place is with the 3 key position dots pointing downwards. I've been referring to this image from the Peach Parts forum:
07.jpg

... but just can't get it to slide all the way down in that position.

When I have got the collar to slide all the way on and lock into place, the key will no longer turn- it's stuck at position 1. I then have to pull the whole lot apart again with the wire tool. (Luckily for me when it's stuck, the key's at position 1 so at least I can get it apart again.)

None of the threads I've found go into any detail about replacing the lock. Mine came out easy enough, but I think I must be doing something wrong as I've had to pull the whole lot apart a number of times now & leave the shroud off just so I can turn the key again. Without the shroud, everything works as it should. These are all the original parts that I took off, so I know it will go back together somehow!:crazy:

Would really appreciate it if someone can help with a step by step on replacing.

when ever I've re installed the barrel, I always line it up on the shroud with the key in the barrel. I then steadily align it with the ignition lock until the barrel clicks in place and you simply click the black shroud in place after.

your alignment must be wrong which is why its not seating properly on the ignition housing.

Great find by Dec though.

Thanks both- apologies for delay in replying, I've been away from the PC for a few days.

I had come across that post when I was researching how to remove the lock, but had lost track of it when it came to put it all back together. Most useful!

About to have another try at reassembly now. I'll report back...

Back together, but upside down

Well, after much fiddling, I've got it back together.

Only thing is, the only way I could get it back together was for the shroud to be upside down. After more than an hour of trying I decided to give up at that point.

Plan on buying a new lock from MB sometime soon as this one's not 100%, so will have another go at getting it right when I stick that in. Only the most eagle eyed would notice those dots being upside down. It seems to be exactly 180° out as the dots are lining up with the key, just the wrong side of the key :wallbash:

I recommend using a bicycle spoke for this: they're the perfect diameter and far harder than a coat hanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom