W124 Indicator Stalk Compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sprint Bloke

Car
1995 E220
Hi, I need a new stalk as the wipers are not functioning correctly. I have checked the relay and this is ok.
Are the stalks all the same for the W124? I have an E220 Coupe.
Thanks

what exact problem u have, there r 2 different models with or without cruise and rhd or lhd

i have one of each.

but if it is intermitant wipes it is the relay mostly not stalk that is why i have both versions

It doesm't work in the correct order. It has been taken apart before.
I have taken the relay out and examined and cleaned it. It doesn't look like it needs the solder fix.
I have a RHD without cruise control.

Might be worth taking the switch apart again and giving it a good clean and making sure it all goes back together correctly. I did this on mine on Sunday to resolve a problem I had where the intermittent wipe would come on when the switch was in the off position.

What seems to happen is that fluff, build-up and swarf from the contacts combines inside the switch and conducts across the gaps resulting in unusual behaviour.

I was reluctant to replace the switch because it means removing an airbag wheel and the expense of buying a new one. Also - you've not much to lose by giving it a go! If you're near by, come over some time and I'd happily help out. This will take about a few mins, once you've done it once and have seen how the pieces fit together i would probably take about 10 mins.

There's some useful advice and help here:
combination switch and wiper timer - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Here's what I did from memory - I'm not at home right now so I can't take more photos or check things. Thanks to benzworld for the photos.

1). Remove the key from the ignition. If you pop the end-cap off the stalk a spring and white plastic cap with a metal contact disc will pop out. (spring, stalk cap and contact are shown in the left had part of the image below). These operate the washers.
182287d1213045771-windshield-wiper-switch-cap.jpg

2). Next, try to slide the cover of the switch which has the wiper control markings on it down the stalk toward the steering column. This will reveal the switch innards. See image below
134950d1184706895-combination-switch-wiper-timer-switch.jpg

3). Next pull the pin out which locates the central barrel of contacts in the switch.The next accessible part is a white plastic spacer or cap which is held on with little plastic tangs. You should be able to remove this piece by pushing the tangs in, it contains no metal contacts or wires.

4). Bend the metal contacts you can see in both pictures above back just a little to enable you to pull out the central barrel.

5). Clean the barrel piece you just removed. Also clean the cylinder it sits in above the soldered wires coming up the centre of the talk. I used switch-cleaner and an airline freebie tooth-brush. This removed some fluff and black deposits on the switch parts which I think may have been bridging the contacts and causing the unusual behaviour.

6). Re-assembly... Replace the barrel in the switch's cylinder, push the pin back through it and gently bend the metal contact tangs back into place. Snap the white cap with the plastic tangs back on. Using the metal pin, rotate the switch to a known position (I, II or III) so you can correctly locate the switch sleeve with the printed settings on it - someone mentioned it needs to be in position I. Draw the sleeve up the stalk and rotate it until it slides into place and the metal pin sits correctly in the locating channels on the inside of the sleeve.

7). Locate the spring on top of the switch, place the white cap with the metal disc contact on top metal side facing the switch and pop the black cap back on the top.

8). Hopefully you now have a working switch and can marvel at your handiwork.

Thanks for posting this and also your offer.
I have a load of spare time on my hands this weekend and will give it a go. I have already looked inside it and feel more comfortabe at sorting it after reading your instructions.

Thanks to this excellent advice, another wiper that operated on intermittent when it should have been stopped has been resolved today. Thanks kingdave. I struggled a bit to make sure the barrel was reinserted correctly aligned with the contacts, but did it more luck than judgement.

Might be worth taking the switch apart again and giving it a good clean and making sure it all goes back together correctly. I did this on mine on Sunday to resolve a problem I had where the intermittent wipe would come on when the switch was in the off position.

What seems to happen is that fluff, build-up and swarf from the contacts combines inside the switch and conducts across the gaps resulting in unusual behaviour.

I was reluctant to replace the switch because it means removing an airbag wheel and the expense of buying a new one. Also - you've not much to lose by giving it a go! If you're near by, come over some time and I'd happily help out. This will take about a few mins, once you've done it once and have seen how the pieces fit together i would probably take about 10 mins.

There's some useful advice and help here:
combination switch and wiper timer - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Here's what I did from memory - I'm not at home right now so I can't take more photos or check things. Thanks to benzworld for the photos.

1). Remove the key from the ignition. If you pop the end-cap off the stalk a spring and white plastic cap with a metal contact disc will pop out. (spring, stalk cap and contact are shown in the left had part of the image below). These operate the washers.
182287d1213045771-windshield-wiper-switch-cap.jpg

2). Next, try to slide the cover of the switch which has the wiper control markings on it down the stalk toward the steering column. This will reveal the switch innards. See image below
134950d1184706895-combination-switch-wiper-timer-switch.jpg

3). Next pull the pin out which locates the central barrel of contacts in the switch.The next accessible part is a white plastic spacer or cap which is held on with little plastic tangs. You should be able to remove this piece by pushing the tangs in, it contains no metal contacts or wires.

4). Bend the metal contacts you can see in both pictures above back just a little to enable you to pull out the central barrel.

5). Clean the barrel piece you just removed. Also clean the cylinder it sits in above the soldered wires coming up the centre of the talk. I used switch-cleaner and an airline freebie tooth-brush. This removed some fluff and black deposits on the switch parts which I think may have been bridging the contacts and causing the unusual behaviour.

6). Re-assembly... Replace the barrel in the switch's cylinder, push the pin back through it and gently bend the metal contact tangs back into place. Snap the white cap with the plastic tangs back on. Using the metal pin, rotate the switch to a known position (I, II or III) so you can correctly locate the switch sleeve with the printed settings on it - someone mentioned it needs to be in position I. Draw the sleeve up the stalk and rotate it until it slides into place and the metal pin sits correctly in the locating channels on the inside of the sleeve.

7). Locate the spring on top of the switch, place the white cap with the metal disc contact on top metal side facing the switch and pop the black cap back on the top.

8). Hopefully you now have a working switch and can marvel at your handiwork.
Hi Kingdave. I want to swap the outside of the stalk (plastic casing) for one that has clear symbols (but switch faulty). Did you go as far as being able to get the whole switch of the stalk removed? reg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom