W124 indicator stalk dismantling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

is there a way to dismantle the indicator/wiper stalk without removing the steering wheel?

all i want to do is replace the plastic trim where the images/writing is on with a replacement.

it appears the end "cap" may prise of? can anyone confirm before i start hacking at it with my flat blade screwdriver?

End cap prises off to access the internal gubbins which can be pulled out (IIRC). I don't know how the piece you want comes off - but clearly it had to go together once so it must be doable

End cap prises off to access the internal gubbins which can be pulled out (IIRC). I don't know how the piece you want comes off - but clearly it had to go together once so it must be doable

i'll give it a go on the "donor" one 1st. thanks

thing is, the bolt in the steering wheel of the donor vehicle isnt coming off and has got chewed up. So i cant swap the stalks over as i intended.

my current stalk works fine but is a bit worn/shiney, where as the donor car stalk is only a few months old so is brand new.

Had the same issue on mines, The center wheel nut had become stripped!!

solved by taking it to a local garge with welding equipment. They carefully welded another bolt onto the existing stripped one, making sure they dont burn anything!

a sigh of relief when it finaly came undone! Amazing how strong a few spots of welding can do. Trust me that centre steering nut was on HARD.

DO NOT ever use one of those air guns on the steering wheel as i grew to learn, it will make matters worse!

i'll give it a go on the "donor" one 1st. thanks

thing is, the bolt in the steering wheel of the donor vehicle isnt coming off and has got chewed up. So i cant swap the stalks over as i intended.

my current stalk works fine but is a bit worn/shiney, where as the donor car stalk is only a few months old so is brand new.
Hi Silversaloon. I would like to do the same. Did you manage to get the stalk disassembled and the outside plastic swapped?
reg

This thread is 11 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom