W124 Indicators not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kbhogalW126

Car
'98 W140 S320
I was out driving this afternoon as normal and the indicators worked fine.

I took the car out for a cruise this evening with Mrs B and my indicators and hazard lights wouldnt work! :confused:

All other controls are working, as are interior lights and rear heaters etc etc.

The car is a 1995 W124 Coupe.

There is no clicking noise when I try to engage the indicator function.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I would appreciate any help at all as I can't drive the car legally/safely without indicators.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

KJ

yes it will be the relay 90% sure. try wiggling it around in its mounting - sometimes you can get it to work by wedging it in one position.
If not they are quite expensive I am afraid as it is the wiper relay as well - about £70 I think. Have a look on ebay but beware it is common failure so you may buy another dud.

Thanks gents.

Where exactly would I find the relay and what does it look like?

Thanks in advance.

KJ

Hey mate

The relays are located right at the back of the engine bay behind the battery.

My mate had a fuel pump relay go on him - he opened it up and discovered a burnt out link on the PCB, soldered a wire across and lo and behold it worked again! Might be worth having a look and saving yourself a few quid...

The N10 relay which controls the wipers, indicators & a few other functions isn't behind the ECU splash guard, it's located in the fuse box. A little smaller than a ciggie packet, it's a black box towards the back which probably has the part number 201 821 00 47.

If you need one I have a couple of spares that would be much cheaper than the dealer's price.

The N10 relay which controls the wipers, indicators & a few other functions isn't behind the ECU splash guard, it's located in the fuse box. A little smaller than a ciggie packet, it's a black box towards the back which probably has the part number 201 821 00 47.

If you need one I have a couple of spares that would be much cheaper than the dealer's price.

Thanks folks. (and Neilrr for the part number).

I'm going to check it shortly and will report back.

The wipers are working, its just the hazards and indicators.

Could it possibly be something else?

TIA,

KJ

p.s. how do i tell if the relay is blown? (dumb question, i know!)

Just opened up the relay "B" and its broken.

The middle contactor has broken off somehow.

Must be because I use the indicators a lot??

Wouldnt have happened if this was a BMW! (i.e. they dont have indicators!).

Lets see how it goes now.

Regards,

KJ

Sounds suspiciously like the same prob. I had a little while ago...

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/37182-indicator-hazard-lights-relays-doolally.html

My uber-cheap remedy was to 'wedge' the relay in place with a bit of folded cardboard to keep it in place after jiggling it about, once I'd found where it would make the hazards/indicators work again.

HTH (temporarily anyway)

Mine was EXACTLY the same fault. Also did the folded cardboard trick, bet it would have worked for a long time but did not chance it.

Mr Ian B Walker is posting me a replacement relay so, depending on Royal Mail, it should be here today.

I've not been able to drive the car for 4 days because I didn't want to take the risk!

Regards,

KJ

Thanks Ian Walker!

Just a wee update on this problem.

Ian B Walker sent me a replacement Relay block.

Part number 201 821 00 47.

I fitted it yesterday and now I have flashing indicators again!

Thanks again Ian!

Regards,

KJ

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks a million for this. I suffered the same fate with my 1996 W124 E220 estate, whereby the indicators decided only to work sporadically. Following this thread, I removed the relay in question and found some of the smaller diameter contacts to be oxidising. A quick squirt with electrical contact cleaner, judiscious use of a hand held small diameter drill bit down the holes and some very fine steel wool on the prongs, dry and clean everything, and then push it back together. Normal service has now been resumed, hopefully for the next 23 years! Thanks to everyone for these threads, particularly c955 for the photograph. Please note that the term "driver's side" can be a confusing one, as some of you sit on the wrong side of the car, I believe, when driving!!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom