W124 Infra red key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sub_zero

Car
W124 E220 1995
Hi all,
My W124 infra red key is not working any more,after many repairs it has ceased :(
I have found some on ebay for sale,some are for W210 and some are for W140,will these work for my car? I know how to reprogram them (actually it is written in the infra red key manual).
I want to buy one,but many warnings in the ebay that I should double check before buy,that is why I headed to our wonderful forum.
What do you think ?
Any sharing of previous experiences will be much appreciated.

The word on the street is that the key from another similar car that are sold on ebay won’t work and can’t be programmed and only a new key ordered from the dealer will work.

Dec

As far as I`m aware,you can`t reprogram another key for your car.The manual might mean how to reset your own one

I learnt that a new key need to be from the dealer. cost around £200

Hi,
I agree with all the above comments though depending on the alarm/immobilser system fitted, i believe it maybe possible to programme the remote to open the car but not to operate the immobiliser.

What does the package of the dealer include? I mean £200 for one fob key or a new set (two fob keys,one blade reserve in your wallet and one key for the garage boy)?
thanks

+1. They cannot be reprogrammed. The "reprogramming" you mention is just the synchronising with the car.

For your money you will get 1 fob + the blade delivered working from the dealer, I just checked and I paid £85 for mine five years ago so there could be different prices for different keys. they will also cancel any lost keys if you ask them as you can only have a set number registered to your car, I don't know how they do it, but I lost one of my keys and when I got it replaced I got the lost key cancelled but found it again about a month later, went to use it and it wouldn't work.
I don't know if I can get it uncancelled at a later time?

Got one for the 124 estate earlier this year from the main dealer. Took 3 days to arrive. Cost about £110.

Got one for the 124 estate earlier this year from the main dealer. Took 3 days to arrive. Cost about £110.

Was that for the infra red one or just a normal key?

Infrared with the flip out bit to go into the lock. You need to be sure the ignition lock is the original one or the key they send wont work. If the key fits the ignition and the door lock it is likely to be original. I had heard the stories re the exhorbitant price of keys and was pleasantly surprised when told the real cost. You will need to take the V5c and photo id. Hope this helps.

There is no alternative, you can get it from the dealer only and claimed to take 3 days from Germany, I got mine after two days, I reckon it came from Milton K instead of Germany. £150 in 2008 for a W211.

Don't waste your money someone can get it cheaper for you, it ends up more expensive and does not work.

Thanks all,really helpful and direct to the point.
I'll check the local dealer here and keep you updated.

I made up 'one button Infra red key' from a second hand key I bought on Ebay.
I bought a new case, then had to solder a new button onto the circuit board and repair the battery clips. I had the blade from the original key. while I was doing all that I found there are some one button keys with a narrower blade.
My 1995 E300 has had the Mercedes alarm unit removed. I gather the alarms were retrofitted in UK and were not actually Mercedes branded.

I am on the forum today because I lost my key and need to make another from scratch this time with nothing to copy. I'm thinking that buying a brand new one from Mercedes makes some sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom