W124 Inlet Cam - bearing collapsed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callingdx

Hi Gents, my W124 E220 lost all power at 30mph and I was lucky enough to be near a lay-by.
God bless the RAC, they were there in 10 mins, the guy had a look, spun the engine with the oil cap off and said Oh Dear, your cam ain't turning.
Anyhow the guy towed me home and out came the socket set.
Removed cam cover and plugs, turned crank with socket - aarrgghh
only the exhaust cam is turning, the inlet sprocket turns just fine - but the inlet camshaft refuses to move.
Had a look from the side and the inlet sprocket is skewed and off centre.
Gutted or what ?
So here is the question.........
What are the logistics of transferring a inlet cam from a spare E220 engine?
How would I set up the inlet cam settings if I changed the cam ?
Would I need to reset the exhaust cam settings ?
The cam chain is complete and unbroken.
I ain't no mechanic and would have to scrounge a torque wrench etc - any Indies near Bangor North Wales?
Any idea of time to fit the cam ?
And finally, if I acquired a W124 diesel engine (606 I think) and did a transplant would I need to uprate the front springs.

Have you had recent work done on the car such as a new chain tensioner for example ????

Or parhaps the car is new to you.

I have to say that I did fit a new (grniume Merc) chain tensioner a few days ago - the was a whining noise but I honestly thought it was because I had also renewed the serpentine belt tension shocker and the belt was too tight.
Looks like I forgot do something properly.......****
Now even more gutted.

Thanks for that - the variable valve timing end piece has free end movement but does seems to do nothing when you pull the end piece....can't quite understand how it can alter the valve settiings though.
Maybe someone a lot brighter than me can explain.
The actual sprocket when viewed side on is skewed to one side.
When viewed end on - with the variable valve timer removed the assembly is off centre by a good bit.
I am assuming there is a bearing assembly in there.
Totally cheesed off - E220 estate - zero rust - now knackered and worst of all it's probably my fault.

Sorry to hear your bad news

rather sounds a if the camshaft is snapped. Others will advise if the valves will have impacted on the piston tops.

Thanks, I was dreading some crunched valves.
Seems like Uncle E.Bay will have another customer.

When this normally happens it does knaker the valves etc and stretch the chain....

You probably did not re-set the chain tensioner properly. Seen it happen a few times now.

When this normally happens it does knaker the valves etc and stretch the chain....

You probably did not re-set the chain tensioner properly. Seen it happen a few times now.
Yep also seen it quite a few times. The cam will have snapped under No1 bearing cap where the oil hole is. Might be cam and valve job, ouch

Busted cam

Ian , a hypothetical question.
If I was to remove a damned good head from my other w124 e220 and also the now duff one from my e220 estate, and somehow get the car up to you in sunny Lancashire- what would you charge for fitting the good 'un ? (exclusive of parts - I'd assume a gasket set and new head bolts would be the minimum requirement)
Or do you think the idea is a no brainer ?
You can e.mail me @ [email protected]
Thanks Hugh

Ian , a hypothetical question.
If I was to remove a damned good head from my other w124 e220 and also the now duff one from my e220 estate, and somehow get the car up to you in sunny Lancashire- what would you charge for fitting the good 'un ? (exclusive of parts - I'd assume a gasket set and new head bolts would be the minimum requirement)
Or do you think the idea is a no brainer ?
You can e.mail me @ [email protected]
Thanks Hugh
email sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom