W124 - installing 300TD from 210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
How easy would it be to replace the existing engine and transmission in a W124 estate with the turbodiesel and 5 speed from a W210? I love the engine and transmission, but don't like the rust of an early 210, while I love the W124 multivalve but would like a bit more oomph and a 5 speed box. I'm sure this topic has come up before but finding the right search terms is a bore.

Charles, all the wiring looms need to be changes along with the ign lock and door locks. Gearbox may be an issue too. The instrument cluster would need changing too.

No doubt someone will tell me I am wrong :dk:

I would have thought the first issue you'd encounter would be the same one MB had with a RHD w124 turbo diesel... the steering box is in the way. That's a relatively simple mechanical jigsaw puzzle with a tame fabricator albeit one that didn't make sense to MB (number of cars versus development cost/time etc)

Diesels are simple things electrically in principle but not so much once manufacturers started to integrate security and get everything to 'talk' to everything else hence Ian mentioning a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff. Dunno how afflicted 210s are in that regard but the later CDI would be worse than the earlier 300TD.

I can't find it but there was a thread a while ago where MB stuffed a modern turbo diesel into a w201 IIRC and to get the thing running they ended up with boot full of bits of the donor car/test bench kit or something along those lines

What about getting a w210 resprayed? Cheaper, don't end up with a modified car- insurance, servicing/repairs etc

I have something like that in my mind as well. there is other option, OM606 turbo with manual pump from OM603 turbo , this must have elements 6mm ( or bigger )as in W210 pump. gearbox from W124 turbodiesel and rear diff 2,24 from USA version of 400E/E420 (yes that is correct) and of course dealing with turbo-exhaust-steering issue as mentioned before. I was thinking how hard would it be to put steering rack from W210 in to W124 if poss??

Druk or Olly or Ian are the boys for this. (See Ians post earlier) I suppose a LHD 124 mit turbo could be the answer.

Druk's got a 606.962 in a 107. You need to change the injection pump for one from a non-turbo engine but with the 6mm elements swapped in from the turbo pump then re-calibrated. Also an external ALDA from DieselMeken in Sweden connected to the pressure side to increase fuelling commensurate with boost increase. Then...if you're considering the 722.6 gearbox (to handle the power) you will need the non-canbus standalone controller from a guy in Denmark (€300) to control it. Then.....etc etc.

It only took me a year and a half Charles. Might do a thread on it all one day.

Last edited:
I stood in front of that car with my jaw dropped to the floor in pure amazement!

What a fabulous looking job, Druk!

Bonnet seems to have gone walkabout though.

I think my idle musings are probably not going anywhere, but the W124 deserves a fuel efficient and potent engine.

That reminds me. I must get my posterior up to Bonny Scotland soon. Its been a while Druk, hope Bette is OK too. Could do with calling in on Woodythewise and the rest of the gang up there.

I would suggest it might be easier to buy a European turbo'ed OM606 W124 and put up with the LHD whilst in UK.

That's an interesting idea, although it is less potent than the 210 TD. LHD doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Yes - it seems to lack the intercooler which I believe appeared on the non Cdi W210s with this engine, but, unless you need to achieve escape velocity PDQ I suspect it would do very nicely. If you have a real fixation with massive power you need to be talking to the superturbodiesel.com - tuning performance turbo diesel mercedes, W123, W116 and up. OM617, OM60X guys, but they're certifiable! (In a nice way of course.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom