W124 Instrument Binnacle Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

I am about to attempt to remove the instrument binnacle from my 124. I want to replace the outside temp display!! The binnacle itself is free from the dash - so no need to worry about that bit.

Even with my tiny hands I am struggling to undo the speedometer cable. Is there a trick to this? As I am sat in the drivers seat facing forwards with my hands shoved down the back of the binnacle? What should I be doing to get this off?

Are the binnacle bulbs/wires all labelled and Fool (read Bruce) Proof?

You're not trying hard enough. Pull the binnacle until you can get your hand in behind. The speedo cable unscrews which will allow you to pull a bit more and unplug the cables. The warning lamps on all of mine have numbers on, the other connectors are all different from each other so shouldn't be able to get mixed up.

I believe you have to remove from gearbox first 10 or 8 mm bolt completely remove it this will then give you enough slack inside the car to work on the back of it to remove the speedo drive from the instruments

Mine has enough slack without having to undo the gearbox end-try seeing if its caught coming through the various holes/bulkhead

My apologies. I can get my hands onto the connector. I just cannot get enough of a grip to unscrew it?

Is it a threaded screw or a twist grip fitting?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

It's threaded. Stop being a wimp and get a grip on the thing. :D

Disconnecting at the gearbox is a bit overkill and probably won't achieve much due to the routing of the cable.

Edit: If it really won't budge despite you having had your Weetabix, try a pair of swan neck pliers.

Last edited:
I believe that the Haynes manual says remove from the gearbox and feed the slack back through the various clamps had to on my W124S ?

In case you're gripping the wrong bit...

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_170337.jpg
    IMG_20170308_170337.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17
Roadhog is correct. I need to man up and get some muscle into it. Seeing the pic tells me what I need to know. There is enough slack (ooh err). I will give it some more heave-ho.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Getting the speedo cable off is the easy bit. I found re-attaching it was a real pain. One of those awkward jobs that takes immense patience. It would be easier with the steering wheel off but there is still very little slack on the speedo cable. Holding it in place and in contact with the connector and screwing it on at the same time is difficult in the limited space. Good luck!

Bruce the main wiring plug it un plugs and pulls apart .It to can only go back one way Take the battery off ,as you locate the plug ,in case of shorting it on re fitting . .But try not to damage it . And yes the bulb holes in the rear of speedo do have a number on there but it is hard to see the numbers when the speedo is going back in .So mark the bulb wires with the said numbers .This may be that i had a short loom , i dont know , and i was not able to put the bilb holders in , with the speedo out in my hand .Also pop a little grease on the speedo cable at the same time .

Not sure if the W124 is the same in this regard, but on the W201 you want to be careful not to stress/stretch the cable as I think people suffer bouncing speedo needle syndrome once they've been disturbed too much! :)

Not sure if the W124 is the same in this regard, but on the W201 you want to be careful not to stress/stretch the cable as I think people suffer bouncing speedo needle syndrome once they've been disturbed too much! :)
Will i can only talk about my W124 as i just pulled the speedo out with the tools, and there was plenty of room to do the job , Cable had never been off the speedo till i had to do the pot gear..And i had ample room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom