W124 instrument cluster bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W124newbie

Car
W124
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well. Quick question - last night we noticed the instrument cluster wasn't lighting up in our '89 W124. I think the right hand bulb has been gone for a while, with just the one on the left working. Also the rear number plate bulbs weren't lit, so proceeded to change fuse 3 which covers them. Plate lights now ok but still no instrument cluster lighting.

I removed the instrument cluster this evening and twisted/pulled both bulbs for the main cluster, however in doing so both have half the glass stuck on the inside. Is this normal? I've ordered some Osram 2821 replacements which should arrive in the next few days, but am just concerned that I'll have to scoop out the remainder of the glass from inside the cluster. Is this going to cause me a problem when fitting the replacements? Is there a trick to take the remainder of the bulb out of the holder, now that the glass is non-existent and all I have is the inside of the bulb?

Many thanks!

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well. Quick question - last night we noticed the instrument cluster wasn't lighting up in our '89 W124. I think the right hand bulb has been gone for a while, with just the one on the left working. Also the rear number plate bulbs weren't lit, so proceeded to change fuse 3 which covers them. Plate lights now ok but still no instrument cluster lighting.

I removed the instrument cluster this evening and twisted/pulled both bulbs for the main cluster, however in doing so both have half the glass stuck on the inside. Is this normal? I've ordered some Osram 2821 replacements which should arrive in the next few days, but am just concerned that I'll have to scoop out the remainder of the glass from inside the cluster. Is this going to cause me a problem when fitting the replacements? Is there a trick to take the remainder of the bulb out of the holder, now that the glass is non-existent and all I have is the inside of the bulb?

Many thanks!

You can try inserting the new bulbs, but I think you will have issues until the old glass is removed. The stock bulbs are dim, brighter ones melt the housing. So I used LED bulbs and have been very, very happy with the brightness.

I have a similar problem on mine.

No instrument lights on at all. All fuses intact.

What type of LED bulbs did you use please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom