W124 instrument cluster not fully working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W124newbie

Car
W124
Hi guys, just wanted your thoughts on this problem. On my dad's w124 he had a problem quite a few years ago where the odometer stopped working. A garage changed the instrument cluster but this didn't solve the problem.

And now the rpm needle doesn't work and I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge isnt giving an accurate reading. For example at last fill up it said it was half full but it felt like about 3/4 tank or more needed filling.

Could this just be a dodgy cluster or is there something more sinister behind it?

The fuel gauge is probably the sender. Quite a common problem. Not sure about the rev counter Im afraid

Thanks, have found a couple of online sources for looking at the fuel sender and odometer. Next will be the rev... Just wondering if it's worth replacing the whole thing?

Hi
if it's not down to the cluster the rev counter could be due to a failed pick-up, you don't say what engine but on my OM603 it went, easy test for it in the manual - just popped a new one in, just below the starter iirc
cheers

Thanks mate, I did find something online about the rev counter sender which I'll look at.

How do I tell which engine it is? It's a 1989 230e but can't find what the corresponding code would be?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom