W124 Instrument panel dimmer out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB250TD

Car
S124 250TD (1989); S124 E300TD (1995); S211 E320 Sport (2007)
Driving home this evening in my 1989 W124 250TD (which I have not used for a few weeks), my instrument console and heater facia instrument lights went out (headlights stayed on). After checking fuse was Ok, I turned the dimmer switch and found that the lights came on again. The dimmer turn switch on the instrument panel appears to be the cause of the problem, because when turned fully up, the lights went out. The mileage function when pushing the switch works OK. The dimmer seems to work in some positions, suggesting poor contacts. Can anyone advise whether it is easy to rectify this problem?

(NB It may be simply that this rather old car is complaining having not been used for a few weeks! I noticed that the rear tailgate motor sounded slow and it took a few goes before a rear electric window decided to move - maybe the problem is as simple as a low battery, and things will rectify after a few days use and working of all the switches. It has been wet up here over the last few days. The car is in excellent condition and wears its 175K miles extremely well, but there is no getting away from the fact that she is now an old lady!

Thanks for any advice

Normally a few hard quick turns solves the problem, if it becomes a problem you could over ride the potentiometer and put in a link so that they are on full all of the time

A bit of contact spray (non conductive) followed by a few turns of the potentiometer might solve the problem.

She's just reminding you to give her a good thrashing round the lanes more often. I recommend the roads around Bala and Llanfyllin

BTW she's not old till she reaches 250,000 miles. Till then she's a young girlie

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
Several turns of the dimmer seems to have got the lights working properly - probably just some dirt/corrosion causing poor contact. Thanks for the suggestions to solve the problem. A few days driving and all problems have gone away and she is behaving well again - just as Bolide said.

See Nick (Bolide) tells the truth :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom