w124 interior drain points + rattle noise from underside of cabrio..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Boss, Sep 29, 2011.

1. The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    hi guys

2 probs on 124 cabrio

1. water issues seems to be blocked in car.. how can i drain this? i have looked at underside and the things that look like gromets with a angled water spouts have been removed and cleared, but only a little of the water came out, not all of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. have had a rattle noise for some time - video shows off the rattle noise much better than previous video - noise is from half way through the video

video is here (thanks in advance guys)

any advice on this would be much appreciated!
    [YOUTUBE]/v/mtsmDdaAiIA[/YOUTUBE]

1 person likes this.
  2. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    You need a strong wet n dry vac... get the water out asap otherwise you will get rust ever so quick.

If you have a leak id guess its coming from the front of the car somewhere.. windscreen, firewall area....it is just settling in the lowest point at the back.

3. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    Jay, the water is at the front on the drivers side only.

However, water is where shown in pics and also, under rear seat bench on the drivers side, beneath the modules in a recessed cove, so literally in the deep left corner.

is there a water block somewhere do you think?

i appreciate water will get in, but surely it should should naturally drain..

it would be good to get advice on how to get the water out naturally.

yes i will suck it out, but if there is a block, then it would reoccur correct?

so i should target the block if there is one, before draining..

any pointers really appreciated

4. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    guys, sorry to push at this, but really need some guidance

5. jaymanek

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    No the water would not drain naturally... water should not be getting in full stop..

So you need to figure out where its coming from...

I would get in the car and have someone go around the car with a hose pipe until you see the source of the water.

Check that all your drain tubes are clear.. in the engine bay which come out into the wheel arches and also sunroof drains.

1 person likes this.
  6. millo777

millo777 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
    The drains at the bottom of the windscreen at either side are common ones to get blocked with old leaves at general crud. I got about half a kilo of rotting organic matter out one of mine. There are also drains in the centre area underneath the cabin air filters which are worth checking.

I used a length of curtain cable which cost about 2 quid from B&Q to reem the front drains out. An old speedo cable will do the same job.

There are also drain hoses for the ac either side of the transmission tunnel, behind the carpets which might of perished.

I'd also check any grommets on the firewall where cables from the engine bay come into the cabin and make sure water isn't leaking in there.

1 person likes this.
  7. BillyW124

BillyW124 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
    Had similar probs boss.

had water in the driver side but not passenger?

this has been all rectified now and the rust you will see in the pics has been ground out and new metal welded in.

In my case it was a thing (i think) that was gradually taking place over the years. I did have drain grommets missing on the lower front of the sills. i replaced them right away once discovered making sure they are angled facing the rear of the car.

I drove in the wet without the sound deadening mats to see if water came in that way without them first however but no sign? Remains a mystery why the passenger side didnt leak like the drivers side even with the other missing grommet.

I had my front windscreen replaced shortly after i purchased the car. It does beg the question that the original screen might have been leaking on the driverside and when the new one was replaced stopped the leak.

in my thread i mentioned that i was sure it was these drain holes the water was comming from, but now i'm sure it was the windscreen.

I check time and again these days for symptoms and now im glad to say it stays bone dry.

be sure to check the drains on the corners of the windscreen under the bonnet right up against the fire wall.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/102710-w124-owners-anyone.html

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    so quick question.

the 4 drain holes with the angled thing on them under the car - ie the drain holes.. they are designed to drain water.. right.. but what water are they designed to drain?

another question.. any idea on the rattly noise? its evident when the car is on, less so when in park or neutral, but very evident when in drive!

cheers..

9. jaymanek

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    They are the drain holes so that if your car did get flooded or something most of the water would drain... they are also breathers... but they wont get rid of shallow water like you have.

1 person likes this.
  10. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Sounds like the exhaust down pipes heat-shield rattles. They are thin metal "cladding" on the down pipes to help them heat rapidly for the catalytic converter. They are crudely crimped at both ends to secure them in place. The lower crimps rust away leaving the shields to rattle in the breeze. They have a resonant frequency so putting the car in gear may just be enough to start them rattling. A reasonably long term cure is to recrimp the ends with strong jubilee clips- if the noise disappears-problem solved.

1 person likes this.
  11. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    There are five grommets in each rear wheel house make sure they are all there, not too sure how many there are in the front wheel house.......
    I am getting very slightly damp, (more cold than damp) carpets too, I suspect from when I wash the car with the roof down, don't always care too much if a little water goes down the roof hinge cavity, it dries quick enough in the hot weather, but it is noticeable in the rear floor area if you don't watch it carefully.
    Could it be too much washing and not enough sunshine? Maybe use the heaters set to floor level more often to keep it really dry.

Also noticed a tiny amount of discolouring in the driver’s foot well, on a screw and on the side wall carpet. You are not alone Boss, must look into it myself I guess. I know the outer corner lower windscreen drains are clear.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    SO I HAVE MADE A FINDING.

Some of you will remember i had all the window motors changed in February 2011 by a known north London indie just off the North circular.

Anyway, i opened up the side trim to the Both near side and off side at the back, as the leak was only on the rear offside.

i was shocked to see that there is a black plastic mount, which holds the speaker on and has alot of black sealant surround the mount, which i presume is to keep water out.

Anyway, 4 screws were missing on this mount, and between the seal and the plastic mount frame, there was a gap. i put a hose on both sides, and water was coming through the gap mentioned above.

i am angry and upset, as i entrusted my car to one person, and i feel let down by this event.

I have not approached the said indie as yet, but i think it is only right they make right what they did not in the first instance.

Or do you recommend i should give this to someone else?

Any advice on this episode would be appreciated.

I have the car booked in with Martin @ Finch motors (sp!kes recommendation) this week for the rattle noise, as its only a mile away from Twickenham.. hopefully it is happy days from there :)

13. rigel

rigel Active Member

Car:
    W124 cabrio
    I have had much the same problem with mine.

Has yours been exposed to heavy rain recently?

Mine was left out in very heavy rain at the beginning of summer and when I checked inside the car after I found water under the floor in the passenger side foot-well. The car was on a slight incline, front downwards so that explained why the water ended up in the foot-well.

This only happened on the passenger side (it has not been left in the rain since) and I had to pull it out with thin rags down through the holes in the passenger floor, I’m sure it’s not supposed to get wet here because there are no apparent vents for water.

I have traced the ingress back (I think) to the rear window/hood seal at the back where the hood mechanism is. Somehow (I haven’t fathomed quite how yet) water was getting through and onto the inside side lining of the rear passenger seat (where the speaker is) and running down the rear edge and onto the rear seat support bracket, then into the gap next to the sills and finally, forward under gravity, to the foot well.

When I had the rear seats out I found that there was no plastic lining behind the seats to catch any water or dust, this has been replaced, but I do still want to know how it got onto the rear inner lining in the first place.

I have noticed that my rear window seals do not fully touch the windows, and when I was washing the hood prior to resealing it over the summer, I was aghast to see water disappearing down here. I’m told that this water vents out from the bottom of the rear window void behind the rear external cladding.

I will post more when I have further substantiating evidence.

Regards. R

1 person likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    no problem if water gets in through the surface seal, there are runoffs inside to deal with this, and the black sealant is to keep water from penetrating the cabin

The car has not been outside for months, generally it is never out in the rain, just garaged - i only wash it, and thats the only way i can presume water would get in...

15. dinoy

dinoy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes of course
    for front drivers side and passenger too check the plastic cover of the wiper tucks under the window sceen rubber as i had 190 wiper motor fitted before same as w124 but the rubber is shorter by 1-2cm and there is a gap which lets water though.

1 person likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    thanks for that.

my wipers are still on original mechanism, just rubber has been changed.

i cleared any debris today

i think the front drivers side footwell was down to water from rear moving forward from the rear.

the passenger side is totally fine.

quick question for anyone -

what is housed in front of the drivers seat under the carpet, on the outside edge, housed in an elongated triangular shaped plastic cover?

it runs from under the accelerator pedal area to the seat mount under your right thigh?

any ideas

thanks.

my vacuum pump for central locking is fine, but the control module for the seat extension arms is gone!

17. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    That is the hot air duct Boss.

Could you take a picture of the gap you mention?

I would not get too upset at the work done Boss, I know is really pi55es you off, but going in hammer and tongs is not the right thing to do. Maybe takes pictures and let them know....

I'd be fixing it yourself, and start looking for a truly fussy mechanic, people on here will point you in the right direction.

There is a cable with a spring at one end that provides tension to each side of the soft top and runs the length of the soft top, these can break/become weak and then not pull the top down hard on the sides, wind noise a little louder than normal will be noticeable from the rear windows firstly. It might be that these need looking at. Good news is they are not that hard to replace and they can be purchased new from MB. If they do need doing, DON'T let people tell you they can make one up for you!

Alternatively the rear windows may need adjustment, I think I sent you an instruction a while back on this, they are tricky little blighters to get spot on, you really need a straight head and patience when dealing with them.......

1 person likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    The Boss

The Boss MB Enthusiast

Car:
    private!
    cheers buddy..

the roof is in perfect condition.

i tested it all today with a hose.. and the leak is from the seal around the panel behind the osr interior trim panel, ie a square that goes all around the speaker..

so i know the leak is from there.. :)

any info always welcome.. you have been so great with all the past links - much appreciated! :)

19. bpsorrel

bpsorrel MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '20 SLC Final Edition, Lexus IS 300h, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
    Result! :)

Off to collect SWMBO tonight, finally! Talk in the week!

1 person likes this.
  20. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    How is the water getting in though Boss, was it because the window was left down in the rain??