Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
thanks for that.

what is housed in front of the drivers seat under the carpet, on the outside edge, housed in an elongated triangular shaped plastic cover?

No Thats not the hot air duct, that sounds like the ducting for the wiring loom.

How is the water getting in though Boss, was it because the window was left down in the rain??

the water got in from when washing the car, and after the window motors were replaced, the indie did not replace the screws on the mount and did not reseal it.. hence this issue has arisen from lack of seal behind the interior trim panel.

the water got in from when washing the car, and after the window motors were replaced, the indie did not replace the screws on the mount and did not reseal it.. hence this issue has arisen from lack of seal behind the interior trim panel.

Its hard to tell without seeing it but I dont think that will be your problem.

trim.jpg

Jay, the bold black line represents the panel that has to be removed to get to the ins and outs of rear osr window motor/mechanism.

this bold black line has a black seal adhesive, similar to that used to mount windscreens.

anyway, i ran water over the nsr window, specifically into the edge meeting the lower edge of the roof to the far back point of the windows.. water ran in, and down, and out of the car, no probs.

i did the same to the osr window, at the point where the roof and the window meet at the bottom corner, and water went in, and then started pouring in from the area marked in yellow.

the seal was not secure and the screws that mount this panel to the car were missing (apart from one)

so this is defo the area water gets in from.

ahh ok makes a lot more sense now... Its a different setup to a W126 which is what I had in my head.

Yes when fault finding, especially leaks...always think of things that could have been disturbed..

main view of osr panel with trim removed.

trim1.jpg

screw missings

trim2.jpg

screw missing

trim3.jpg

screw missing

trim4.jpg

screw missing

trim5.jpg

1 of 3 speaker bolts missing

trim6.jpg

Great info and research Boss, thanks for sharing.

Mine got wet in much the same place.

The rear seat supports (missing in your picture ~main view of osr panel with trim removed.) had started to tarnish due to the water, and the rear edge of the cabin side lining had evidence of water marks running down the rear edge when I removed them. I’m still not sure how it was getting there in the first place though.

I am now going to check for missing screws and that the “blacktac” sealer is not compromised in any way.

Is this “blacktac” the only waterproofing between the window cavity (where the water runs when it disappears between the rubber seal and the rear window) and the inside of the car?

On a slight tangent, I read earlier in the post that there are instructions for adjusting the windows. Does anyone know where I could find these?

Regards. R

rigel said:
Great info and research Boss, thanks for sharing.

Mine got wet in much the same place.

The rear seat supports (missing in your picture ~main view of osr panel with trim removed.) had started to tarnish due to the water, and the rear edge of the cabin side lining had evidence of water marks running down the rear edge when I removed them. I’m still not sure how it was getting there in the first place though.

I am now going to check for missing screws and that the “blacktac” sealer is not compromised in any way.

Is this “blacktac” the only waterproofing between the window cavity (where the water runs when it disappears between the rubber seal and the rear window) and the inside of the car?

On a slight tangent, I read earlier in the post that there are instructions for adjusting the windows. Does anyone know where I could find these?

Regards. R

I have a copy courtesy of our new Zealand w124 friend. Pm me your email addy

Dee-124CAB said:
boss was all this removed when you had the window regulators changed?
Yes . For the motor not regulator

No Thats not the hot air duct, that sounds like the ducting for the wiring loom.

Well spotted Jay! That is indeed the cable duct, the hot air duct runs next to it...........

I wonder if they knew why the sealant was there - what it's significance was. Hope they don't try and blame you for leaving out the screws etc......

Boss, are you saying you have a leak between the top edge of your rear windows and the hood, when you spray the hose upwards directly into that area. I'm not so sure this should be happening, from where do you first notice wind noise with the top up, is it in the same area......

Last edited:
WDB124066 said:
Well spotted Jay! That is indeed the cable duct, the hot air duct runs next to it...........

I wonder if they knew why the sealant was there - what it's significance was. Hope they don't try and blame you for leaving out the screws etc......

Boss, are you saying you have a leak between the top edge of your rear windows and the hood, when you spray the hose upwards directly into that area. I'm not so sure this should be happening, from where do you first notice wind noise with the top up, is it in the same area......
No no
The water I mention is on the rubber seal at bottom of window at bottom edge of where c pillar / soft roof meet on rubber seal. Water getting in, no problem, the water stays behind seal and drains out. But if seal is compromised, then it comes into cabin. Noise is from leading edge of cabin, sounds like a gargling sound... I will try to put a vid up if I can soon. It's from engine bay

Last edited:
I have a copy courtesy of our new Zealand w124 friend. Pm me your email addy

hi boss, and thanks for offer.

i've tried to send a PM to you regarding my email address, but every time i send it i doesn't show in my sent file? not quite sure what i'm doing wrong yet but will keep trying.

on another tangent, i look forward to the day all the W124 cabrio drivers get to meet.

regards. R.

Put it up here rigel for a few minutes then delete it. Then I can send you a copy.

Be good to meet up with the cabbie guys in the UK, that would be something to get get them all together in the same room, have you seen the photos of the German GTG's.......:):). I just maybe in the UK and Europe later in the year.......??

thanks for that Boss, absoutely brilliant, and a big thankyou to our antipodean W124 cabrio brother "W" too for the original info.

great forum, and i love the sharing of information for all to benifit.

my missus loves to read novels, i prefer "W124 rear window adjustment instructions".

the more i read about these cars the more i like them.

good luck with the getting your sorted.

a 124 cabrio GTG must be on the cards somewher down the line?

regards. R.

Put it up here rigel for a few minutes then delete it. Then I can send you a copy.

Be good to meet up with the cabbie guys in the UK, that would be something to get get them all together in the same room, have you seen the photos of the German GTG's.......:):). I just maybe in the UK and Europe later in the year.......??

Let me know if you get near Liverpool, W.

Dillon, forgive me for going OT, but as we have a couple of cab fans here, here are a couple of pics from the Berlin Templehof meet. The blue cab in the foreground ordered from new by a female, French newspaper owner, who had friends at MB, and persuaded them to paint the car in a Porsche blue, which really suited the car. Check out the full house of options in the second pic!

cabs-1.jpg

options.jpg

dilon was it danny who messed up the job?

dilon was it danny who messed up the job?

hey

i dont know.. i dont want to say at this stage. i dont want to blame him until i hear from him. he has not replied to my emails.. so lets see, but when i was out in Feb for 3 weeks in india, i had the car couriered over to him to replace the window motors, and to do this work, the panel that has been compromised would have had to be removed.

ye i remember u sent your car to him for repairs. I didn't like his attitude when i spoke to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom